SCOPE is a student-faculty collaborative summer research program that aims to foster a culture of research, support ongoing faculty development, and promote student investigative learning, persistence, and success.
General Information and Expectation for Students
- SCOPE is an 8-week summer research program. Students should plan to begin research the week following the last day of the spring semester. In summer 2022, most research groups will work from approximately May 12, 2022 - July 7, 2022. Start/end dates may vary slightly for each group.
- SCOPE is a full-time job. Students should NOT take classes or have other jobs while participating in this program.
- Students are paid $3,000
- Student on-campus housing is provided. Students are expected to live on-campus unless they have exceptional circumstances; funds for off-campus housing are not available.
- Students are provided with weekly social and academic events throughout the summer which enable students to become members of a tight-knit research community while fostering personal and professional development.
- Students are required to present their research at two events following the conclusion of the summer program: a poster presentation open house event in Fall 2022, and Southwestern’s Research and Creative Works Symposium in April, 2023.
- Some research mentors will expect students to continue their research into the fall semester following SCOPE. Students should check with professors they are interested in researching with if they want the student to continue research into the fall.
- Students are required to be in good standing with the university to be eligible for SCOPE.
Please direct questions to: