SU Paris Olympics
The SU Paris Olympics Program is a 4-week, 4-credit program specially designed for Southwestern students who are interested in exploring sport, physiology and culture during the Paris 2024 Olympics.
Ed Merritt, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Kinesiology
- Mar 23, 2023, 12:30-1:30, FJS 151
- Apr 5, 2023, 4-5pm FJS 100
- Apr. 19, 2023, 12:30-1:30, FJS 151
Application Deadline: June 1, 2023 - 13 months in advance, deposit required
Note: it is required to attend an Information Session or Advising prior to application
Program Start Date: July 14, 2024
Program End Date: August 11, 2024
The estimated program fee for summer 2024 will be approximately $9,828-$10,548. Cost will be confirmed in early January 2024; cost is based on enrollment and may change.
The program fee includes:
- $1950 non-refundable deposit (to be paid 12 months in advance at time of application)
- 4 credits of tuition
- Pre-departure materials
- Group airport pick up and drop off in Paris
- All housing (shared studio apartments) with linens, towels, weekly cleaning, internet access
- Welcome and farewell meal
- Day trips, academic visits and cultural activities
- Local transportation card
- Dedicated staff support for the program, led by an on-site program coordinator, with other staff as needed
- Orientation program including cultural activities, health/safety briefings, introductions to local culture, and other topics
- Day-to-day support from local staff for health or safety concerns, cultural questions or other personal needs
- Medical and life insurance coverage for the duration of the program, including a Quarantine benefit
The program fee does not include:
- International airfare
- Baggage fees and travel insurance
- Passport and visa expenses
- Personal expenses: laundry, toiletries, activities, snacks, personal travel, souvenirs, etc.
- Most meals
For the duration of the program, students will be lodged in a shared studio apartment. Linens and towels are included. Weekly cleaning and internet access is included.
There will be both a welcome and farewell group meal. Students will be responsible for all other meals.
All students will take the following course:
Paris 2024 Olympics: Understanding the Interaction of Physiology & Culture with Sport (KIN 48-304)
This study abroad course is designed to immerse students in the worldwide athletic and cultural arena of the Summer Olympic Games in Paris, France. Students will examine the Olympic Games through a broad lens to understand the intersection of human anatomy and physiology and culture and how it affects sport. The course will also highlight geographic, economic, social, and political factors that might impact individual and overall country performance.
There are no prerequisites for this course. This course satisfies the Natural Sciences (NS) requirement. It also counts as an upper division elective for the Kinesiology major or minor.
Excursions & Cultural Activities
The SU Paris Olympics Program will include several class-related excursions as well cultural activities within Paris during the program including:
- Neighborhood walking tour
- Seine River Cruise
- Guest Lecture from mySMartMove
- Visit to Arc de Triomphe
- Guided visit to Hospital Hotel-Dieu
- Day Trip: Château de Fontainebleau & Forest Hike
- Olympics: Opening Ceremonies
- Guest Lecturer from The Use Factory
- Guided Tour of Montmartre
- Guided Tour of Musée Carnavalet
- Activity: Lourvre Museum
- Olympics Marathon
- and more...