SU European Cultural Exploration
Southwestern University, in collaboration with Academic Programs International (API), has created a program in Europe designed specifically for Southwestern students. The SU European Cultural Exploration program is a four week, eight credit program where will travel to Lisbon, Portugal; Grenoble, France; and Budapest, Hungary. Students apply to Southwestern, not API directly. Please note that this program will run every other year, so it will be offered next during summer 2021.
European Cultural Exploration Study Abroad Program
Click here to check out what you can see on the program!
- Application Deadline: February 1
- Program Start Date: June 2021 (TBD)
- Program End Date: July 2021 (TBD)
A $550 non-refundable application deposit will be charged to the student’s SU account upon applying to the program.
The cost for this four-week program is TBD. Cost is based on enrollment and may change if enrollment changes.
The program cost includes:
- Tuition for eight credits
- Group airport reception and return
- On-site safety, health, and cultural orientation
- Housing in shared hotel or hostel rooms
- Breakfast in Lisbon and Budapest, kitchenette accommodations in Grenoble
- 6 group meals
- API on-site staff
- Medical and life insurance
- Local transportation passes of unlimited use on metro, bus and tram systems in Lisbon, Grenoble, and Budapest
- Entrance fees during cultural activities and excursions
- Day trips to Sintra (Lisbon), Annecy (Grenoble), and Szentendre (Budapest)
- Ground Transportation on all API-arranged activities
- Transportation between cities
- Cell phone rental
The program cost does not include:
- International airfare between U.S. and Europe
- Lunch and dinner in Lisbon and Budapest, all meals in Grenoble
- Passport and visa expenses
- Personal expenses: laundry, toiletries, activities, snacks, personal travel, souvenirs, etc.
The SU European Cultural Exploration Program is a four-week, two-course, eight-credit program.
All students will take two classes. The courses for 2021 are TBD.
Students are housed in shared hotel or hostel rooms throughout the duration of the program. Daily breakfast is included in Lisbon and Budapest. In Grenoble, students have kitchenette accommodations in each room. In each city, two groups meals are provided as part of the program cost. Students are responsible for all other meals.
Students will be in each city for 9 days. Their time in each city will always include an orientation and walking tour, a full day excursion, cultural activities, and time to accomplish field observations in the city.
The program begins with a orientation in Lisbon. Students will attend sessions on cultural adaptation and safety while also visiting some of Lisbon’s most important sites. Cultural activities in Lisbon include a walking tour of Alfama and Mouraria and a day trip to Sintra.
From Lisbon, students will travel as a group to Grenoble. Cultural activities in Grenoble include a walking tour of the Grenoble city center, a trip to the Chateau de Vizille/ Musée de la Révolution, and a day trip to Annecy, with a boat ride on Lake Annecy.
Finally, students will travel as a group to Budapest, where they will conclude the program. Cultural activities in Budapest include a walking tour of the city center, a sightseeing boat tour, and a day trip to Szentendre with a visit to a marzipan museum.
- Associate Professor of Psychology
- p: 512.863.1547
- e: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Associate Professor of Communication Studies
- P: 512. 863. 1061
- e: email@example.com