The International Summer Program (ISP) at Colegio de Mexico (ColMex) is a five-week program that takes place between June and July. Attend one of the most prestigious institutions in Mexico with students from all over the world. Learn from renowned faculty in vibrant Mexico City. Embark on group cultural activities. Onsite learning opportunities about Mexican & Latin American Studies. View the program brochure in Via for more detailed information.
The ISP is taught mainly in English and its curriculum focuses on the study of Mexican and Latin American realities. Additionally, students have the possibility to attend Spanish language classes and cultural tours around the Mexico City area. Students take two to four courses and receive approximately 2-5 General Elective credits at SU. Each course is worth about 1.3 credits at SU. The courses come in as transfer credit.
Visit the Colmex ISP website for course descriptions.*These are updated in January for the upcoming summer.
Courses offered are generally in the fields of History, Political Science, Latin American Studies, Economics, Spanish Linguistics and Literature, and Spanish Language Studies.
In this program, students independently arrange their flights, housing, meals, and more. Total estimated expenses including tuition, passport, airfare, shared housing, meals and transportation is approximately $3500.
- The program offers students extra-curricular cultural activities.
- Students are encouraged to apply for SU Study Abroad scholarships and outside scholarships,
- This program is eligible for Federal Financial Aid and SU Merit Aid.
Students interested in applying to this program will need the skills, experience, and ability to travel, study, and live independently in Mexico City.
- Have established a GPA at Southwestern of 3.0 or higher - must be established before leaving to study abroad
- Be in good academic and disciplinary standing with the university and meet all SU eligibility requirements
- Be enrolled full-time during the semester before study abroad
- Clear any negative balances on the student account before leaving to study abroad
- Have completed at least two semesters of college
- Letter of reference from SU Faculty member addressing your level of independence, responsibility and adaptability
- Completion of Spanish II, or the equivalent (including testing out), prior to the program
Prior to applying, students must attend at least one advising session with the Office of Study Abroad and International Student Services. SU Application deadline is February 1.
Once the student is approved by SU, the student will complete an application to ColMex.