Costs & Funding
The cost for study abroad and away programs vary by program type, location, length and travel costs. There is a variety of funding available to assist students with these costs.
How much does it cost to study abroad?
The cost for study abroad and study away programs vary by program type, location, length, and travel costs. Most programs cost about the same as SU or less than SU; there are some programs that cost more than SU.
The program fee is listed on the program page. In addition, consider costs for travel, passport/visa fees and local cost of living. It is important to remember that many approved provider programs cost about the same or less than tuition, room, and board at Southwestern. Thus, it may cost about the same as SU to participate on an approved provider program.
- Use this Cost Comparison Tool to compare to the cost of attendance at SU
- Budgetyourtrip.com is a helpful resource for planning
- API programs under $13.5K
- API programs price breakdown
- ISEP Direct semester programs under $10K
- ISEP Direct summer programs under $5K
- IES Abroad Cost Savvy Locations
There are two financial aid categories for the purposes of study abroad/away:
Home Tuition Model: applies to SU London Semester Program, the Capitol Hill Internship Program in Washington, D.C., or the International Student Exchange Program (ISEP Exchange)
Students may use federal financial aid and SU merit awards, excluding work study or other aid that requires physical presence at SU.
For these programs, students pay the equivalent of SU tuition, room (Brown-Cody rate), and board (unlimited meal plan) directly to Southwestern.
Tuition exchange agreements apply to these programs.
Provider Model: for all other programs, students pay the program fee directly to the program provider and do not pay anything to Southwestern during the term abroad. Students pay for additional expenses such as airfare, passport, student visa, and personal expenses.
- Students are NOT eligible to receive SU merit or need-based aid
- Students ARE eligible to receive federal financial aid, as long as they are enrolled full-time
- Most outside scholarships and SU Study Abroad/Away scholarships apply
SU merit and need based aid is not available in the summer. There are SU Study Abroad Scholarships available in the summer. Students must to file a summer financial aid application with the SU Office of Financial Aid in order to access federal aid.
Southwestern Study Abroad/Away Scholarships
Southwestern University is committed to providing access to study abroad and away to all students who are interested in participating. SU provides of $200,000+ annually to support study abroad/away. To apply for SU study abroad scholarships, login to Via and search “Scholarships” under “Programs”.
- Kahler Scholarship - provides financial need-based awards ($500- $6000).
- Lokey Scholarship - provides financial need-based awards ($200 to $700) for summer study abroad programs.
- Paideia Scholarship - provides merit and need-based awards ($500-$2500) and is open to all SU students An essay is required.
- Garey HIE Scholarship - Garey Scholars may use up to $5000 of their HIE Garey Scholarship to fund study abroad.
- S-Stem Study Abroad Scholarship - S-Stem Scholars may apply for a $1500 award for study abroad. Personal statement is required.
- SU London Semester Award - Participants in the SU London Semester program may apply for funding ($600-$1200) to assist with airfare, visa and passport costs, etc.
Additionally, students may apply for national awards, such as:
- Gilman Scholarships provide awards up to $5000 for U.S. undergraduate students who are receiving federal Pell Grant funding and are U.S. citizens.
- Gilman-McCain provides awards up to $5000 for U.S. undergraduate students who are dependents of active military personnel and are receiving federal financial aid.
- National Scholarships & Fellowships: Boren Awards, Critical Language Scholarship, CLS Spark, George J. Mitchell Scholarship, Fulbright Scholarship, etc.
Program Provider Scholarships
In addition, study abroad program providers offer scholarships.
- IES Abroad Scholarships will award financial need students up to $7000 for a semester and up to $3000 for a summer.
- API Scholarships SU will award $2000 scholarships for students attending an API program during 2024 (first 15 students). API has additional awards of $1000-$2000 designated for SU students during 2024.
- SIT Study Abroad Scholarships For students enrolled at Hispanic-serving institutions, including SU, who demonstrate financial need, SIT will award a $3,000 scholarship for participation in a semester program and $2,000 for a summer program.
- CYA Athens - has a guaranteed scholarship dedicated to one SU student every year
- ISEP Scholarships
- Arcadia Scholarships
- CET Academic Programs Scholarships
- IFSA Scholarships
- DIS Scholarships
- School for Field Studies Scholarships
Additional Funding Resources
- Fund for Education Abroad - FEA makes life-changing, international experiences accessible to all by supporting minority, community college, and first-generation college students before, during, and after they participate in education abroad programs.
- Diversity Abroad Scholarship Database - Diversity Abroad’s mission is to create equitable access to the benefits of global education by connecting diverse students to resources and opportunity.
- International Education Financial Aid - A comprehensive college study abroad scholarship search and grant listings plus international student loan programs and other information to promote study abroad.
- EDUCAID University-Student Loan Specialists - Information on scholarships, financial aid, and student lending including federal and alternative loans. This website also provides financial/budgeting tips.
- U.S. Department of Education - Tells you who is eligible for student financial aid and how to apply. It provides information about accrediting agencies, tax credits for education expenses, and additional sources of aid.
- FastAID - A private sector scholarship database. You can search for scholarship aid for study abroad, compare different student loans, or look for internships.
- FastWeb - Free scholarship search - Search 600,000 scholarships and get tips on financial aid, careers, etc.
- CollegeENET - Find out how to get financial aid, search for scholarships, and get information on college resources.