Steps to Study Abroad
Southwestern University offers hundreds of study abroad programs in over 70 countries, with opportunities for all majors and students. We are here to help students through the process.
It is easy to get started with the process to study abroad or away. This is a simple guide to help students get started.
Steps to Study Abroad or Away
- Explore programs
- Meet with a Study Abroad Peer Mentor to learn about programs and the application process
- Attend the Study Abroad Fair in September to explore programs
- Attend an in-person group Information Session like Study Abroad 101 Session; make an appointment with a Study Abroad Advisor, or complete Virtual Study Abroad 101.
- Research cost and funding information
- Meet with your academic advisor and explore courses offered and credit approval
- Apply for a program and scholarships
- Attend pre-departure orientation and go!
Program and scholarship application deadlines are:
- September 1st - Spring ISEP
- October 1st - Spring Program Providers, Spring NYAP, Spring CHIP
- December 1st - SU Faculty-Led Summer Programs
- February 1st - Summer Program Providers, Fall ISEP, & Fall NYAP
- March 1st - Fall Program Providers, SU London Semester, Fall CHIP