Study Abroad

International Students

Southwestern University enrolls students from around the globe.  The Southwestern community benefits greatly from the cultural diversity which each of these students brings to the campus.



Sandra Hancock

Sandra Hancock

Assistant Director of Study Abroad and International Student Services

Sandra Hancock

Sandra Hancock

Assistant Director of Study Abroad and International Student Services


Exchange Student Information

  • The following minimum official or institutional English language score is required:

    • TOEFL = 80 iBT (213 CBT, 550 PBT)


    • IELTS = 6.5

    There are no ESL language offerings at Southwestern University.  Students must be prepared to read and write at a very high level.

  • Students are housed in double-occupancy rooms in one of the residence halls located on campus. Students may be housed in a suite, which is comprised of two bedrooms (each double-occupancy) and a shared bathroom and common room. No single-occupancy rooms or married student housing are available. Students receive a full meal plan (19 meals/week) in the university dining hall.

  • Prior to arrival, international students are provided with an International & Exchange Student Handbook to assist with the transition to university life in the United States. Information covered in the handbook includes: Southwestern University and the concept of a liberal arts education, the Office of Study Abroad and International Student Services, International Student Orientation, a Student’s Perspective, University Services (i.e. bookstore, center for academic success, dining facilities, health and counseling services, etc.), Community Services (i.e. banking, hospital, pharmacy, social security office, etc.), Immigration Information, and Georgetown, Texas. This handbook serves to begin orienting international students to life and studies at Southwestern University, in Georgetown, TX, and in the U.S.A. as a whole.

    International students are matched with student mentors who guide them through the initial week/s on campus. Mentors may be returning international students or U.S. students returning from a period of study abroad. Student mentors or a staff member from the Office of Study Abroad and International Student Services will provide airport pick-up for those students arriving on the official arrival date. The Office of Study Abroad and International Student Services can provide arrival instructions and recommendations to students should they be arriving early. There are formal and informal orientation sessions, including sessions on common procedures (banking, health and safety, shopping, etc.), academics, and cross-cultural adjustment, in addition to an extensive orientation for all new students (first-year, international, and transfer) regarding Southwestern policies and campus life. During this orientation, important logistical information will be covered and registration tasks will be accomplished. Details regarding the academic expectations of the institution will also be covered in this session.

    During orientation, international students work with the Office of Study Abroad and International Student Services and the Center for Academic Success to register for courses. International students are assigned an academic advisor from the Center for Academic Success to assist in registering for classes, adding/dropping courses, and/or other endeavors as they pertain to the success of the international students in their classes.

  • Southwestern’s small size gives students the opportunity to get more out of their college experience! Our residential campus is abuzz 24/7. From concerts to renowned guest speakers to salsa lessons to a lively pick-up game of frisbee on the green, you’ll find plenty of things to do around here. And with most students living in our on-campus residence halls, living-learning communities and apartments, you’re never far from home, class, food, or friends.

    Through Southwestern’s ninety plus student organizations - including eight nationally-affiliated fraternities and sororities - you can connect intellectually, socially, politically, and spiritually with students who share your passions and interests (e.g. diversity & social justice). Can’t find what you’re looking for? Create it! The Office of Student Activities can help.

    Our close proximity to the Texas Hill Country means endless possibilities for outdoor excursion; whether caving, rock climbing, or exploring the vast array of local rivers and lakes. The folks in Intramural and Recreational Activities (SIRA) can outfit and guide you. Or, if you’d rather just take a cardio class or lunchtime pilates, they do that too.

    If you like music or comedy, Friday Night Live brings nationally touring performers to the Campus Center. Cinematic Saturdays presents the latest blockbusters at The Cove. Or, step off-campus and discover Georgetown and its festivals, art shows, and award winning town square. And with Austin just a few miles south of us, opportunities abound for expanding your live music, art, culture, and culinary horizons.

    As for sports, Southwestern has a variety of ways for you to get involved and show your skills. Participate through nationally competitive club sports and intramurals. Have some fun during our Late Night Robertson Center evenings. Or, ride a Pirate Bike to the fields to cheer on your favorite Pirate team from the stands or sidelines.

  • Who must file tax forms for 2021 tax season?

    Even if you did not earn any income, if you were physically in the US on F or J status anytime between 1 January – 31 December 2021, you’re obligated to file a Form 8843 with the IRS (the Internal Revenue Service, or ‘IRS’, are the US tax authorities). 

    Meanwhile, if you earned more than $0 of taxable US source income, you may need to file a federal tax return with the IRS. Depending on your individual circumstances, you may also need to file a state tax return(s). 

    Tax Filing Deadline:

    15 April 2022 is the last day for residents and nonresidents who earned US income to file Federal tax returns for the 2020 tax year.

    Who is considered Resident or Nonresident for Federal Tax Purposes:

    Generally, most international students & scholars who are on F, J, Mor Q visas are considered nonresidents for tax purposes. International students on J-1 & F-1 visas are automatically considered nonresident for their first five calendar years in the US, whilst Scholars/Researchers on J visas are automatically considered nonresidents for two out of the last six calendar years in the US. If you’ve been in the US for longer than the five or two year periods, the Substantial Presence Test will determine your tax residency.

    How to File:

    We have teamed up with Sprintax to provide you with an easy-to-use tax preparation software designed for nonresident students and scholars in the US. We (and all other university staff) are not qualified or allowed to provide individual tax advice.

    After you login to Sprintax, you will be asked a series of questions about the time you have spent in the US over recent years. Sprintax will then determine your tax status. If it determines that you are a “nonresident alien” (NRA) for federal tax purposes, you can continue to use the software to respond to a series of guided questions. Sprintax will then complete and generate the tax forms you need to send to the tax authorities. 

    However, if Sprintax determines that you are a resident alien for federal tax purposes, you won’t be able to continue using the software.

    Step by Step guide on How to File Your Nonresident Tax Forms (F and J)


    • Gather the documents you may need for Sprintax







    Visa/Immigration information, including form I-20 (F status) or form DS-2019 (J status)


    Social Security or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (if you have one)

    This is not needed if you had no income and the 8843 is the only form you have to file.



    This form reports your wage earnings if you worked. If you had more than one employer you should get a W-2 from each employer. It is issued by the end of January for the previous year. Make sure all employers from last year have an up-to-date address for you. 



    This form is used to report:

    1. stipend, scholarship, fellowship income and travel grants (not tuition reduction or exemption)
    2. income covered by a tax treaty
    3. payment for other types of services (eg by the semester as a note-taker)

    If you received this type of income, the 1042-S will be mailed to you by 15 March by the payer. 

    Note: Only Nonresident Aliens receive this form. If your tax status changes to a Resident Alien you will not get a 1042-S. Login to Sprintax to check your tax status if you’re not sure.

    US entry and exit dates for current and past visits to the US

    In addition to passport stamps, you can review or print your US travel history here



    This form reports miscellaneous income. Can be interest on bank accounts, stocks, bonds, dividends, earning through freelance employment


    This form is NOT needed and can NOT be used for a nonresident tax return because NRAs are not eligible to claim education expense tax credits.



    You will receive an email from the international student office providing you with a link to Sprintax to set up your account as well as your unique discount code to use on Sprintax. Open your new Sprintax account by creating a UserID and password or if you have an existing account on Sprintax you can login using your existing credentials.


    • Follow the Sprintax instructions


    If you did not earn any US Income: Sprintax will generate a completed Form 8843 for you and each of your dependents (if you have any).

    If you did earn US Income: Sprintax will generate your “tax return documents”, including either a 1040NR-EZ or a longer form 1040NR, depending on your circumstances. 


    • (With U.S. income only) If required, complete your state tax return


    After you finish your federal return, Sprintax will inform you if you need to complete a state tax return. If so, you will have the option to use Sprintax for an additional fee. However, it is your choice to use them or to do the state tax return on your own.


    • Read the instructions for filing/mailing your returns


    Remember to read the instructions that Sprintax provides. 

    You will be required to download, print and sign your federal tax return and mail it to the IRS. If you have a state filing requirement, you must also mail this to the tax authorities. 

    Finally, if you only need to file Form 8843, this will also need to be mailed to the IRS.

    Need SprintaxSupport?

    If you need help while using Sprintax, you can contact their support team using the options below

    Email - 

    24/7 Live Chat Help

    Refer to their FAQs

    Sprintax Educational Tax Videos and Blog:

    You also have access to the Sprintax YouTube account where there are a number of educational videos on nonresident taxes. These will provide further clarity on nonresident tax and how to use Sprintax. Sprintax also offer a range of useful content on their blog to help you file your return.

    DISCLAIMER: The Office of Study Abroad and International Student Services (SAISS) and Southwestern University are NOT permitted to assist any student/scholar with any IRS tax form preparation or tax related questions. The information provided is intended for your benefit. Any questions or concerns should be directed to Sprintax, a certified tax preparer or a local IRS field office.


Degree Seeking Students

Southwestern University enrolls students from around the globe. The Southwestern community benefits greatly from the cultural diversity which each of these students brings to the campus. Since over half of its students study abroad, and many faculty have experience teaching and conducting research outside the United States, the Southwestern community is welcoming of an international presence on campus. International students are regularly called upon for their unique perspective and expertise, and contribute greatly to the dynamic and diverse climate at Southwestern.