IMPORTANT: Do not apply for a study abroad/away program without pre-approval by The Office of Study Abroad & International Student Services at Southwestern. Credit transfer and financial aid may be jeopardized if prior approval for a program is not granted.
- The Office of the Registrar will not award academic credit for coursework taken on a program (including virtual programs) without pre-approval.
- Students may not study abroad during a Leave of Absence.
General Eligibility Requirements for Study Abroad:
- Have established a GPA at Southwestern of 2.0 or higher - must be established before leaving to study abroad
- Be in good academic and disciplinary standing with the university
- Be enrolled full-time during the semester before study abroad
- Have completed at least two semesters of college before study abroad
- Clear any negative balances on student account before leaving to study abroad
- Meet any program-specific requirements for the program to which you apply
- Be at least 18 years of age by the start date of the program
Worried you don’t meet the eligibility requirements for study abroad? Contact our office at email@example.com
Prior to applying, all applicants must:
Attend at least one advising session with the Office of Study Abroad and International Student Services through:
- Group Advising
- One-on-One Advising
- Faculty-led Information Session
- Meet with your academic advisor to discuss study abroad plans
- Search SU-approved programs in ViaTRM
Application Deadlines (Programs and Scholarships):
It is the responsibility of the student to ensure that all components of the application are complete and the application is submitted by 11:59pm on the deadline. This includes receipt of faculty and advisor recommendations.
- September 1st - Spring ISEP
- October 1st - Spring Program Providers, Spring NYAP, Spring CHIP
- December 1st - SU Faculty-Led Summer Programs
- February 1st - Summer Program Providers, Fall ISEP, Fall CHIP, & Fall NYAP
- March 1st - Fall Program Providers, SU London Semester
Applications are open in Via TRM for:
*advising is required prior to submitting an application
- Faculty-led Programs 2023
- Summer 2023
- Fall 2023
Study Abroad Scholarships
- Same deadline as program application
- SU Scholarship Application in Via
Faculty-led Application essay:
250 word essay addressing:
- Discuss your personal goals for studying abroad on this particular program and what challenges you anticipate (i.e. connections to identity, language, cultural differences, etc.).
Paideia scholarship essay:
700 word cohesive essay addressing:
- How does this study abroad program fit your personal and professional goals? Please specifically address how your study abroad program fits your intended/declared major(s), and/or your intended future career.
- What sorts of learning experiences, relationships, abilities, would you like to cultivate? How can study abroad contribute to fulfilling your vision?
- What kinds of connections can you anticipate making between a class or a class concept and your experience abroad?