General Requirements to Study Abroad
Have had an advising session with the Office of Intercultural Learning prior to applying
- Credit transfer and financial aid may be jeopardized if prior approval for a program is not granted
- Do not apply for a study abroad program without pre-approval by Southwestern
- Have established a GPA at Southwestern prior to studying abroad
- Have a minimum GPA of 2.5
- Be in good academic and disciplinary standing with the university and must have cleared any negative balances on your student account before you study abroad
- Be enrolled full time during the semester before you study abroad. Exceptions must be approved by the Director of Intercultural Learning
- Have declared a major if you have completed at least 60 credits prior to studying abroad
- Students must also meet any program-specific requirements for the program to which they apply, whether an SU Program or an approved provider’s program
Study Abroad Applications
Students intending to study abroad on an approved program provider’s program (e.g. IES, IFSA-Butler, Arcadia, CIEE, ISEP, etc.), the New York Arts Program, or the Washington, D.C. Internship Program, please use this application. If you are applying to the New York Arts Program, or the Washington, D.C. Internship Program, you DO NOT need to complete the essay portion of the application.
Students intending to study abroad on the SU Amsterdam, SU Buenos Aires Program, SU European Cultural Exploration Program, SU Granada Program, SU London Program, SU Switzerland Program, and the SU Cuzco Program please use this application.
Note: some SU programs require an application fee/deposit be submitted at the time of application. See your specific SU Program webpage for dollar amounts, details, and instructions.
Please click here to access the form to complete and submit a letter of recommendation for study abroad on behalf of a student.
Important Financial Aid Information
If you plan on using financial aid to pay for your study abroad program, you MUST complete the following Consortium Agreement and Release of Financial Aid Funds form:
Note: you will need to have your program provider complete the Host Institution Section and the Parent & Host Institution Section of the aforementioned Consortium Agreement.