IMPORTANT: Do not apply for a study abroad/away program without pre-approval by The Office of Study Abroad & International Student Services at Southwestern. Credit transfer and financial aid may be jeopardized if prior approval for a program is not granted.
- The Office of the Registrar will not award academic credit for coursework taken on a program (including virtual programs) without pre-approval.
- Students may not study abroad during a Leave of Absence.
General Eligibility Requirements for Study Abroad:
- Have established a GPA at Southwestern of 2.0 or higher - must be established before leaving to study abroad
- Be in good academic and disciplinary standing with the university
- Be enrolled full-time during the semester before study abroad
- Have completed at least two semesters of college before study abroad
- Clear any negative balances on student account before leaving to study abroad
- Meet any program-specific requirements for the program to which you apply
- Be at least 18 years of age by the start date of the program
Worried you don’t meet the eligibility requirements for study abroad? Contact our office at firstname.lastname@example.org
Prior to applying, all applicants must:
Attend at least one advising session with the Office of Study Abroad and International Student Services through:
- Group Advising
- One-on-One Advising
- Faculty-led Information Session
- Meet with your academic advisor to discuss study abroad plans
Application Deadlines (Programs and Scholarships):
It is the responsibility of the student to ensure that all components of the application are complete and the application is submitted by 11:59pm on the deadline. This includes receipt of faculty and advisor recommendations.
- September 1st - Spring ISEP Exchange
- October 1st - Spring Program Providers, Spring NYAP, Spring CHIP
- December 1st - SU Faculty-Led Summer Programs
- February 1st - Summer Program Providers, Fall ISEP Exchange & Fall NYAP
- March 1st - Fall Program Providers, SU London Semester, Fall CHIP
Search programs and apply in via
Applications are open in Via TRM for:
*advising is required prior to submitting an application
- Fall 2023
Study Abroad Scholarships
Same deadline as program application
- Same deadline as program application
Faculty-led Application essay:
250 word essay addressing:
- Discuss your personal goals for studying abroad on this particular program and what challenges you anticipate (i.e. connections to identity, language, cultural differences, etc.).
apply for SU Scholarships in Via
Paideia scholarship essay:
700 word cohesive essay addressing:
- How does this study abroad program fit your personal and professional goals? Please specifically address how your study abroad program fits your intended/declared major(s), and/or your intended future career.
- What sorts of learning experiences, relationships, abilities, would you like to cultivate? How can study abroad contribute to fulfilling your vision?
- What kinds of connections can you anticipate making between a class or a class concept and your experience abroad?
S-Stem Personal statement:
250 personal statement addressing:
- Discuss your personal goals for studying abroad and how you anticipate this experience will connect with your studies at Southwestern and your future goals.