Sprog Checklist (before attending Sprog)
- After you have registered for Sprog, you will be pre-registered for your First-Year Seminar (FYS, for freshman/first-year students) or Advanced-Entry Seminar (AES, for transfer students).
- After you have registered for Sprog, you will be contacted by the Office of Advising and Retention to schedule your individual advising and registration appointment, typically lasting 1 hour. You will need to have internet access for the appointment and it will be conducted via phone or video (through Google Meet, for example). This appointment must happen before you attend Sprog in January.
- Please complete this survey to express your academic interests and provide us with additional information.
- Before your appointment you must watch the Curriculum Review and Pre-Planning video. Note: This is a previously recorded session from Sprog this summer.
- This is the first step you must take before registering for classes at Sprog. Taking this exam does not mean that you will have to select a foreign language class for your first semester, however, it is a required step to take before you register. Your fall course registration cannot be completed until you have done so.
- All students who plan to study a language taught at Southwestern which they have previously studied, and who are not transferring credit from another institution, must take a Language Placement Exam at least one week prior to Sprog. To determine which exam to take, go to the Advanced Placement and Credit page for the languages.
- All students must take 3 semesters of a foreign language or proficiency through the 3rd semester of a foreign language as part of Southwestern’s General Education requirements. This exam will help us place you in the appropriate class.
- To apply for housing, login to my.southwestern.edu and click on WebAdvisor to review and complete the ‘First-Year Students – Preferences for Housing’ from under Student Life.
- Move in will be January 15th.
- Watch a virtual housing tour !
- If you have any questions or problems to contact the Housing Office via email firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Please upload your health records using the Patient Portal (SU login will be required).
- Due to Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) regulations, Southwestern cannot discuss bills, financial aid, or send grade reports to parents.
- If the student is willing, he or she may voluntarily give written consent by signing a FERPA Information Release Waiver , giving Southwestern permission discuss your educational records in written, oral and electronic formats.
- Every student bringing a vehicle to campus must complete a Vehicle Registration form. Register your vehicle on the form provided on the Residence Life website -https://www.southwestern.edu/life-at-southwestern/office-of-residence-life/campus-parking-information/ .
- The fee associated with a motor vehicle registration is $100 per semester. Motor vehicle registration is automatically billed along with tuition.
- Your completed vehicle registration form will be directly submitted to SUPD. All student parking decals will be assigned accordingly and distributed via SU student mailbox located in McCombs Campus Center within 3-5 business days.
- Students not bringing a car to campus must fill out an online parking permit waiver form. The charge will be removed from your student account once the waiver is processed. Information will be available during Sprog.
Please review the New Student Guide for helpful information to help you prepare for Sprog, including transfer credit information, campus resources, degree plans, and more.
- If you need accommodations because of a disability or have any disability-related questions, please visit the Academic Success webpage with Services for Students with Disabilities .
- If you would like to get a head start on choosing your courses for the semester, review the Course Catalog to see what courses SU offers.