Financial Aid

Work Study

Work Studies are part-time job opportunities that the Federal Government and Southwestern can provide. They provide financial assistance in both your educational and personal needs while allowing you to gain valuable experience in your chosen field before you leave school.

First-year And Transfer Students

First-year and transfer students who are offered Work Study as part of their financial aid package will be invited to the Student Employment Orientation during Orientation Week. This event provides an overview of student worker rights and responsibilities, explains how Student Payroll works, and provides guidance for students who choose to complete the required forms for Payroll (I-9 and W-4) at the event. Additionally, students will receive direction in using HireSU to search for on-campus jobs.

Frequently Asked Questions

How Do I Apply For An On-campus Job If I Did Not Receive Federal Work-study As Part Of My Financial Aid Package?

Many departments advertise job openings through HireSU and the daily Campus Posting emails. If you are interested in pursuing one of these positions, you should apply directly to that department. If you accept an offer of employment, the person responsible for hiring will submit forms to the Student Payroll Coordinator so that the Student Payroll and Financial Aid systems can be updated.

The most important thing for you to do once you have been hired is to complete the I-9 and W-4 and submit those forms to the Student Payroll Office, along with a copy of your Driver’s License (or other form of ID) and your Social Security Card. If you have questions about these forms or the required documentation, please contact the Student Payroll Office.

Can I Work More Than One Job?

You may work more than one job, however, per institutional policy, you are not permitted to work more than an average of seventeen (17) hours per week on a regularly scheduled basis. Should you exceed a total of 374 hours before the end of the fall semester you will be required to stop working until the beginning of the spring semester. Likewise, if you exceed a total of 289 before the end of the spring semester, you will be required to stop work until the beginning of the fall semester.

How Do I Report Work Study On My Tax Return?

On your tax return, you will report work-study earnings as you would any other earnings. For more information about filing your tax return go to

Student Handbook

This handbook provides an overview of student employment policies and procedures at Southwestern University.