Financial Aid


Southwestern welcomes the opportunity to partner with the Veterans Administration to administer the following benefits to support veterans and veteran dependents who wish to attend as full-time students.



Your Southwestern University Contacts

Nadia Mahannah: Associate Registrar & VA School Certifying Official
Amanda Anthony: Assistant Director of Financial Aid
Scott Sandoval: Director of Transfer Recruitment/Admission
Jennifer Smull: Associate Director of Academic Success/Disability Services

Benefits for Veterans

Chapter 33 - Post 9/11 GI Bill®

[The Department of Veterans Affairs asks that the following notice appear after use of the term “GI Bill”: GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at]

The Post-9/11 GI Bill is for individuals who served at least 90 aggregate days on active duty—with or without a break in service—after September 10, 2001, or were honorably discharged from active duty for a service-connected disability after serving 30 continuous days following September 10, 2001. This benefit includes the following:

  • Assistance with tuition and fees up to $26,042.81 for 2021-2022
  • Up to 36 months of education benefits
  • A Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH/MHA) based on location
  • Money for books and supplies (up to $1,000 per school year)

Please note: If your service ended prior to January 1, 2013, your Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits will expire 15 years after your last separation date from active service. If not used by that time, you will lose whatever is left of your benefit. If service ended on or after January 1, 2013, there is not time limit to use your education benefits.

Yellow Ribbon Program

The Yellow Ribbon Program is a provision of the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008 (also known as The Post-9/11 GI Bill). This program allows degree-granting institutions in the United States to voluntarily enter into an agreement with the Veterans Administration to fund tuition expenses that exceed the annual maximum paid through the Post-9/11 GI Bill (i.e., out-of-state, private school, or graduate school tuition). The institution can waive up to 50% of those expenses and the VA will match the same amount as the institution.

Chapter 31 - Vocational Rehabilitation

If you have a service-connected disability that limits your ability to work or prevents you from working, the Vocational Rehabilitation program can help with post-secondary education/training at college, vocational, technical, or business schools.

Chapter 35 - Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program (DEA)

The Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents and survivors (child or spouse) of a Veteran who died or who is permanently and totally disabled as the result of active service.

Southwestern does not participate in the following program:
  • Texas Hazlewood Act 

Financial Aid College Financing Plan

Southwestern University is committed to ensuring that our prospective service member and veteran students are aware of the financial investment they are making from the beginning and have adopted the Financial Aid College Financing Plan to assist in making an educated decision on where to attend school.

VA Educational Benefit users: Be sure to review the information on the second page of the College Financing Plan, especially information about Education Tax Benefits, Loan Amounts, and Next Steps. 

Getting Started at Southwestern

We will need several documents from you to ensure this process runs smoothly and in accordance with VA policy. Please use the checklist below to ensure you’ve turned in all necessary documents. If you have questions, please contact Nadia Mahannah or stop by the Center for Academic Success & Registrar.

Please complete the following Southwestern University forms and return to the Records Office:

Please provide Southwestern University’s Office of the Registrar with the following documents:

Click here for a printable checklist

  • Certificate of Eligibility: Can be requested online or by calling 1-888-442-4551. You’ll need to mail the form to the address indicated on the form and then provide Southwestern University with a copy of the official Certificate of Eligibility you receive back;
  • DD 214-Member 4 copy (Veteran): You may request the form online;
  • Official Copy of Military Transcript (Veteran);
  • Official Copy of Transcript(s) from all institutions you have attended: Request from the Registrars Office(s) each of the colleges you have attended. If you’ve sent your official transcript(s) to the Admissions Office you do not need to send an additional copy to the Office of the Registrar;
  • VA Form 22-1995 or 5495 Change of Program or Place of Training (if used VA benefits elsewhere):  Can be found online — please type in the form number (either 22-1995 or 22-5495) at the bottom of the page in the “search” space.

Please note: You will need to turn in all forms to the Office of the Registrar before we are able to certify your credits using your VA benefits. Prior to the start of each semester we will require you to complete a VA Education Benefits Certification form, so please watch for this document in your email and return it promptly. Please be aware any coursework taken off-campus within your last 32 hours must be pre-approved by the Office of the Registrar (please speak with Nadia regarding this matter) and requires a form separate from the “Continuing VA Student Information” form.

Other Resources for Veterans

Warrior-Scholar Project