Gain More Experience Before Applying
How to build experience during COVID-19
Thanks to Kate Fukawa-Connelly, Director, Health Professions Advising at Princeton University who has compiled an extensive list of possibilities. Check out this link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2PACX-1vSZEMI_w2jDK5oH_nxnODReCJE_3G6ADLWK-nFGdLsctv_3e9lfdlwMGi2mv_I9H9j8dnFkjPtJdJpH/pub
Volunteers needed for Williamson County Medical Reserve Corps
Williamson County Cities and Health District (WCCHD) is seeking volunteers to serve with the Medical Reserve Corps during the CoVID-19 pandemic. Medical and non-medical backgrounds are welcome. Applicants need to be 18 years old or older and be willing to work long shifts. Volunteers will work with individuals with no to low risk of illness and must be willing and able to sit, stand and/or walk for long periods of time. Applicants should have an interest in promoting the wellness of Williamson County residents. WCCHD will provide HIPPA training for all volunteers.
Please see the Medical Reserve Corps page on the WCCHD website for additional information:
Relevant shadowing experience is a vital component of your exploration of a future career in any of the allied-health fields. In addition, it is essential for a successful application. Southwestern’s Center for Career & Professional Development (CCPD) is a valuable resource.
Contact Dana Luna at the CCPD to learn about shadowing opportunities.
St.David’s and ABC Medical Center Shadowing Opportunities
Learn about two great opportunities to shadow at our local hospital during a 10-week rotational shadowing program and at a local private practice, as well as local hospital volunteer opportunities. Applicants who attend this panel historically have done better in the application process. Past and present shadowing participants will share their stories and answer questions.
Southwestern University established a partnership with St. David’s Hospital in Georgetown in 2014 to provide unpaid, 1-credit shadowing opportunities for up to three (3) current students for a total of 10 weeks each fall and spring semester. In Fall 2018 we added a second shadowing site for four (4) students – ABC Medical Center in Round Rock, a family medicine/pediatrics private practice run by an SU alumna. Students will be selected through a competitive application process for both opportunities for Fall 2020.
At the hospital, selected students spend half a day (4 hours) for each of the weeks shadowing physicians, nurses and technicians from areas of the hospital that would normally be difficult to gain access to on your own. Rotations include
Surgery (Note: Surgery is always a very early am shift)
Emergency (2 consecutive weeks)
Student’s choice option for one week
At the clinic, each of four selected students will shadow for four hours a week on different days throughout throughout the course of the semester.
For more details, attend the information session and see the email publicity (to go out after the info session) for the application form link.
There is an increase trend for students to take one or two ‘gap’ “bridge’ years. Click this link to read the article: http://loyolaphoenix.com/2020/
Post-baccalaureate programs give you the opportunity to improve your academic record and/or strengthen your knowledge by taking advanced coursework. Most programs offer the opportunity to earn a master’s degree.
How can these programs help strengthen your application? These programs may be beneficial if you are a recent graduate whose goal is to enter medical, dental, or veterinary schools but whose credentials may hinder your application. Participation in a postbaccalaureate could possibly help you become a more competitive candidate.
Post baccalaureate-Master’s programs in Texas: For more information about any of these programs please visit their website.
- UNT Health Science Center Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences offers master of science degrees in the following areas: forensic genetics, biomedical sciences, biotechnology, clinical research management, and medical sciences.
- Texas Tech University Health Science Center offers a master of science in biomedical sciences.
- University of Incarnate Word School of Osteopathic Medicine offers a master of biomedical science.
- The University of Texas Medical Branch (UTMB) offers a master of science in biomedical science.
- UTHSCSA offers master programs in the following areas: biomedical engineering, cell systems and anatomy, dental hygiene, dental science, immunology and infection, medical health physics, personalized molecular medicine
- University of Texas Medical Branch (UTMB) at Galveston: UTMB is a leading academic health science center offering a wide array of biomedical science training programs – from studying infectious diseases, such as Ebola, to bioethics, our graduate training programs address the full spectrum of basic, social, translational, computational and clinical research.
Post baccalaureate programs in the U.S.
- The Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC)’s list
- The American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine (AACOM)’s list (many of these are special master’s programs)
Summer Health Professions Education Program (SHPEP)
This is a six-week free summer academic enrichment program funded by Robert Wood Johnson Foundation to increase diversity in the health profession. There are 12 participating universities across the nation. The program consists of
- academic enrichment: basic sciences and math
- clinical experiences
- career development activities
- learning and study skills seminars
- financial planning workshop
The program includes a broad spectrum of health professions: medicine, dentistry, nursing, optometry, pharmacy, physical therapy, physician assistant and public health.
For more information please click on the link below
University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences/Center for Diversity Affairs
UAMS has several summer programs that range from 2-6 weeks, for Pre-Health undergraduate and graduate students. The different programs include
- Medical School PreMatriculation Program (MedEd Ready)
- PreMedical Summer Scholars (PMSS)
- Final MCAT preparation
- Summer Research Internship
For more information please click on the link below