Gain More Experience Before Applying
Relevant shadowing experience is a vital component of your exploration of a future career in any of the allied-health fields. In addition, it is essential for a successful application. Southwestern’s Center for Career & Professional Development (CCPD) is a valuable resource.
Contact Dana Luna at the CCPD to learn about shadowing opportunities.
Postbaccalaureate programs give you the opportunity to improve your academic record and/or strengthen your knowledge by taking advanced coursework. Most programs offer the opportunity to earn a master’s degree.
How can these programs help strengthen your application? These programs may be beneficial if you are a recent graduate whose goal is to enter medical, dental, or veterinary schools but whose credentials may hinder your application. Participation in a postbaccalaureate could possibly help you become a more competitive candidate.
Postbaccalaureate programs in Texas
- UNT Health Science Center Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences offers master of science degrees in the following areas: forensic genetics, biomedical sciences, biotechnology, clinical research management, and medical sciences.
- Texas Tech University Health Science Center offers a master of science in biomedical sciences.
- University of Incarnate Word School of Osteopathic Medicine offers a master of biomedical science.
- The University of Texas Medical Branch (UTMB) offers a master of science in biomedical science.
Postbaccalaureate programs in the U.S.
- The Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC)’s list
- The American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine (AACOM)’s list (many of these are special master’s programs)