How to Apply
Applying to medical, dental, veterinary, or allied-health schools is an intricate process. It is important that you plan ahead and meet with a pre-med advisor to ensure you are making progress toward your goal.
TMDSAS application is open. Please visit the TMDSAS website http://www.tmdsas.com/
EY 2023 AMCAS Application
The 2023 AMCAS application is now open. If you wish to start medical school in Fall 2021, please complete and submit the 2023 AMCAS application. Please be sure to proofread your application before submitting. https://students-residents.aamc.org/applying-medical-school/applying-medical-school-process/applying-medical-school-amcas/
Fee Assistance Program Award
The many costs associated with applying to medical school may discourage some students from applying. The AAMC believes that these costs should not be a barrier to anyone who aspires to become a physician. The AAMC Fee Assistance Program is one resource that helps to offset some the application costs.
The EY 2022 AACOMAS Application is now open for submissions
The AACOMAS Application Cycle is officially open for submissions!
As you prepare your application, we encourage you to first check out how DO schools have adapted their admissions processes in response to COVID-19.
Apply early and read all application directions carefully to avoid delays. Colleges begin receiving applications June 15. Colleges of osteopathic medicine also make admissions decisions on a rolling basis, so they review applications, conduct interviews, and make admissions decisions throughout the admissions cycle. Keep in mind that interview slots may be awarded and/or classes may be filled if you apply close to the deadlines. Submitting materials early and accurately will support timely processing and help avoid delays.
Here are some pointers as you prepare your application:
- Explore osteopathic medicine and familiarize yourself with our 36 colleges of osteopathic medicine using AACOM’s Choose DO Explorer
- Prepare your application materials, letters of recommendation, personal statement, and transcripts ahead of time. Review the AACOMAS application instructions for more information.
- Apply early and when ready. Keep in mind that ready may look different this year. AACOMAS schools intend to adapt their application review processes to mitigate the many obstacles you are facing. Be sure to check out the Choose DO COVID-19 Resources Page for specific resources to help you be successful.
And don’t forget, if you get stuck along the way, visit the AACOMAS Applicant Help Center
Texas Health Education Service has created a website that contains policies that have been released by all medical, dental, and veterinary schools that participate in TMDSAS. https://www.txhes.com/newsroom/updates/tmdsas-covid-impacts-ey21.html
MCAT UPDATE: They will provide the next update on their website and Twitter @AAMC_MCAT on Friday, April 17. Please visit the MCAT Coronavirus page for the most up-to-date information.
Applying to medical school usually takes place during your junior year. Prior to this, you will have spent time planning, acquiring knowledge from foundational courses that are part of the prerequisites for your particular field(s) of interest, and expanding your academic portfolio by participating in high-impact experiences, such as shadowing. The Center for Career and Professional Development page has a wealth of information and valuable resources to help you in the process.
- Southwestern’s Center for Career & Professional Development (CCPD)
- American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS)
- Texas Medical & Dental Schools Application Service (TMDSAS)
- American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine (AACOM)
- Choose DO
- Associated American Dental Schools Application Service (AADSAS)
- Veterinary Medical College Application Service (VMCAS)