The Proposal Submission Process.
THE PROPOSAL SUBMISSION PROCESS
The Principal Investigator (PI) or faculty advisor should make sure that the IRB has a current copy of their ethics training certification.
The PI is responsible for submitting research proposals to the irb via email@example.com.
PIs must be Southwestern University faculty or staff members.
For student projects, the faculty supervisor must read, when necessary edit, and approve the proposal prior to submission.
- Proposals must be submitted as a single attached file to firstname.lastname@example.org. Note: only Microsoft Word or Google Doc forms will be accepted. Do not submit PDF files.
Proposals must be officially submitted by a faculty or staff member.
For expedited and exempt proposals, PIs should submit their proposals no later than two weeks before the proposed start date.
- For proposals that require a full board review, PIs should submit their proposals no later than three weeks before the proposed start date.
NOTIFICATION OF DECISIONS ON PROPOSALS
- The review process for expedited and exempt proposals may take up to two weeks and full reviews make take as long as three weeks so please plan accordingly.
- When the committee has rendered its decision, an IRB co-chair will email the PI a letter describing the results of the review. Results of reviews range from approval, a request for revisions, or denial of the proposed project.
- Researchers may not begin data collection until they receive an official approval letter from the IRB.