Jobs in the DEWC
Peer Writing Consultant (2019-2020)
Peer writing consultants in the Debby Ellis Writing Center come from a variety of majors and work one-on-one with writers from across the disciplines. Work as a writing consultant involves active-listening, sharing writing strategies, the ability to adapt to a variety of situations, and an open mind to a variety of topics and arguments. Consultants may also participate in the planning and implementation of writing-based workshops for students and faculty, mentoring of new consultants, and participation in outreach events during the course of the Fall and Spring semesters. Consultants usually work 1-3 three-hour shifts per week.
Basic Consultant Duties
● Work one-on-one-with peer writers at all stages of the writing process
● Participate in the planning and implementation of center events and workshops
● Help promote the center through various outreach efforts, including social media, posters, etc., as needed
● Perform administrative and other daily tasks
● Attention to detail
● Strong listening skills
● Perceptive of writers’ varying needs
● Empathy towards others
● Willingness to learn new concepts/ideas
● Interest in growing as a writer and/or teacher
Training and Professional Development Training for first-time and returning consultants takes place during Orientation Week in the Fall Semester. Professional development occurs continuously throughout the semester during bi-monthly staff meetings and early Spring.
Start Date Orientation Week, August 2019
How to Apply Please complete the application form below to be considered for a position in the DEWC for 2019-2020. You will also need to submit the following materials:
● Writing sample (full, final paper) from any college-level, research-based course
● Unofficial transcript.
● Letter of recommendation from a professor (emailed directly to DEWC Director Jennifer Marciniak firstname.lastname@example.org.)
Applications due Friday, March 1, 2019.