Jobs in the DEWC
Peer Writing Consultant
Applications for 2021-22 open Monday, March 8
Peer writing consultants in the Debby Ellis Writing Center come from a variety of majors and work one-on-one with writers from across the disciplines. Work as a writing consultant involves active-listening, sharing writing strategies, the ability to adapt to a variety of situations, and an open mind to a variety of topics and arguments. Consultants may also participate in the planning and implementation of writing-based workshops for students and faculty, mentoring of new consultants, and participation in outreach events during the course of the Fall and Spring semesters. Consultants usually work 1-3 three-hour shifts per week. Due to COVID-19 social distancing requirements, we currently only offer virtual consultations. However, we hope to add face-to-face consultations back into our regular schedule in 2021-21.
Basic Consultant Duties
- Work one-on-one-with peer writers at all stages of the writing process
- Participate in the planning and implementation of center events, projects, and workshops
- Help promote the center through various outreach efforts, including social media, posters, etc., as needed
- Perform administrative and other daily tasks
- Attention to detail
- Strong listening skills
- Perceptive of writers’ varying needs
- Empathy towards others
- Willingness to learn new concepts/ideas
- Interest in growing as a writer and/or teacher
Training and Professional Development
Training for first-time and returning consultants takes place during Orientation Week in the Fall Semester. Professional development occurs continuously throughout the semester during bi-monthly staff meetings and early Spring.
Start Date Orientation Week, August 2021
How to Apply Please complete the application form below to be considered for a position in the DEWC for 2021-22. You will also need to submit the following materials:
- Writing sample (full, final paper) from any college-level, research-based course
- Unofficial transcript.
- Letter of recommendation from a professor (emailed directly to DEWC Director Jennifer Marciniak firstname.lastname@example.org.)
All application materials are due by 11:59pm, Sunday, April 4, 2021.