Incorporating Writing in FYS
In First Year and Advanced Entry Seminar courses at Southwestern, students are both writing to learn and learning to write at a college level. This site, featuring materials developed by FYS and AES faculty and Mellon Writing Fellows, offers concrete suggestions for ways to incorporate writing into your FYS or AES course.
Please click through to read about:
- Using writing to foster critical reading skills
- Supporting student writing
- Using writing to encourage critical and creative thinking
- Using writing to facilitate discussion
- Teaching research skills and methods
- Incorporating Paideia in FYS and AES (coming mid-July)
And our FYS Sample Writing Calendar provides a model of in-class and at-home writing assignments as they might be sequenced over the eight weeks of the seminar.