Debby Ellis Writing Center
The Debby Ellis Writing Center (DEWC) is a space where trained undergraduate writing consultants work with students and faculty to support writing practices at Southwestern University. Our peer writing consultants are available to work one-on-one with writers at all levels, in all disciplines, and at all stages in the writing process. One part of the consultant mission regards providing support, strategies, and feedback to writers as they shape their writing abilities. This includes the planning for and execution of revision practices. The hope is that these practices and competencies will serve students throughout their academic writing careers and into their professional lives. Finally, the DEWC staff and administrators provide faculty support in planning, developing, and drafting effective writing assignments.
Goals and Outcomes
Learning Goal The DEWC focuses on peer-to-peer feedback on writing, offering writers the support and strategies needed to plan and execute revisions of their work, and developing writing skills that will serve students across assignments and courses.
● Student writers will demonstrate an understanding of writing as an adaptable, self-directed process.
● Student writers will understand that writing requires multiple drafts and revision.
● Student writers will gain the ability to distinguish between and address higher- and lower-order writing concerns and address higher-order concerns first.
● Student writers will gain rhetorical knowledge of how to write for different audiences, situations and purposes, and will learn strategies for writing in a range of disciplines.
Process Goal The Debby Ellis Writing Center (DEWC) is a space where trained peer writing consultants work with students and faculty to support writing practices at Southwestern University.
● DEWC peer writing consultants will remain up-to-date on the latest writing center methodology and strategies for writing instruction.
● Consultants and DEWC directors will investigate and produce informative materials related to campus writing needs on an as-needed basis.
● Students and faculty will become more aware of the DEWC and view the service as accessible and helpful.
● DEWC staff and administrators provide support for faculty in planning, developing, and drafting effective writing assignments and modeling writing in the classroom.
● DEWC staff and administrators will serve all student writers at Southwestern.
Affective Goal DEWC staff helps student writers build a sense of ownership of their work, and assists them in fostering agency in their own reflection and decision-making for revision.
● Student writers will take charge of their own reflection and decision-making for revision.
● Students will report feeling welcome and respected in the DEWC.
● Writers will demonstrate a perception of confidence and self-efficacy regarding their writing assignment and/or writing more generally.