Debby Ellis Writing Center
The Debby Ellis Writing Center is a true center for writing, a space where specially-trained consultants work with students and faculty to support writing practice at Southwestern.
In service of the Southwestern community, we host events and workshops that offer guidance to student writers. Our consultants are available to work with small groups or on a one-on-one basis with writers at all levels, in all disciplines, and at all stages in the writing process. The tutors focus on skill-building, and they offer writers the support and training needed to plan and execute revisions of their work. These skills will serve students throughout their future writing efforts. Finally, the DEWC staff and administrators provide faculty support in planning, developing, and drafting effective writing assignments.
The DEWC focuses on skill-building, offering writers the support and training needed to plan and execute revisions of their work, and developing writing skills that will serve students across assignments and courses.
- Students will demonstrate an understanding of writing as an adaptable, self-directed process.
- Students will understand that writing requires multiple drafts and revision.
- Students will gain the ability to distinguish between and address higher- and lower-order writing concerns and address higher-order concerns first.
- Students will gain rhetorical knowledge of how to write for different audiences, situations and purposes, and will learn strategies for approaching writing in a range of disciplines.
The DEWC is a true center for writing, a space where specially-trained consultants work with students and faculty to support writing practice at Southwestern.
- DEWC writing consultants will remain up-to-date on the latest writing center methodology and strategies for writing instruction
- Consultants and DEWC directors will regularly investigate and produce informative materials related to campus writing needs.
- Students and faculty will become more aware of the DEWC and will be more likely to make use of the center.
- DEWC staff and administrators provide support for faculty in planning, developing, and drafting effective writing assignments and modeling writing in the classroom.
- Writing consultants will serve all students at Southwestern.
The DEWC helps students build a sense of ownership of their work, taking charge of their own reflection and decision-making for revision.
- Student writers will take charge of their own reflection and decision-making for revision.
- Students will report feeling welcome and respected in the DEWC.
- Writers will demonstrate a positive perception of confidence and self-efficacy regarding their writing assignment and/or writing more generally.