Visiting Assistant Professor of Education
Areas of Expertise
Bilingual and Bicultural Elementary Education, Reading and Writing Methods, Language Arts, English Language Learners/Emergent Bilinguals, Multilingual and Multicultural Children’s Literature, Language and Social Processes, Qualitative Research Methods, Teaching and Teacher Education.
Ph.D., University of Texas 2016
M.A., University of Michigan 2005
B.A., University of Texas 1999
Visiting Assistant Professor
August 08, 2016 - present
University of Texas
August 27, 2012 - May 03, 2013
Methods of Teaching English as a Second Language (EDC 370E) Language in Education (ALD 330) Second Language Acquisition (ALD 325)
University of Texas
August 22, 2011 - May 04, 2012
Bilingual/Bicultural Elementary Education
University of Texas
August 27, 2009 - May 07, 2010
Spanish and Portuguese Department First Year Spanish II (SPN 508K)
- Children’s Literature (EDU 45-734)
- Reading Methods I and II (EDU 45-773)
- Literacy in the Content Areas (EDU 45-763)
- Language Arts Across the Curriculum (EDU 45-723)
- Teaching English Language Learners (EDU 44-654)
- Elementary Student Teaching Supervision (EDU 42-804)
My research interests includes the intersection of race, ethnicity, class, language, and how individuals, such as teachers and students, co-construct their own and each others identity in the classroom. My specialization includes bilingual and bicultural elementary education with a focus on students from a Latinx background.
- Garcia-Mateus, S., & Palmer, D. (2017). Translanguaging Pedagogies for Positive Identities in Two-Way Dual Language Bilingual Education. Journal of Language, Identity, & Education, 16(4), 245-255.
- Avineri, N., Blum, S.D., Garcia-Mateus, S., Zentella, A.C., (2016). Save California Residents from a Language Drought: Vote ‘Yes’ This Fall. The Huffington Post [Online News]. Retrieved from http://www.huffingtonpost.com/american-anthropological-association/save-ca-residents-from-a_b_11387726.html
- Palmer, D., Martinez, R.M., Mateus, S.G., Henderson, K., (2014) Reframing the Debate on Language Separation: Towards a vision for Translanguaging Pedagogies in the Dual Language Classroom. Modern Language Journal, Vol. 98, Issue 3.
- Mateus, S.G. (2014). She was born speaking English and Spanish! Bilingual Status in a Kindergarten Two-Way Dual Language Classroom. Texas Papers in Foreign Language Education (TPFLE), Vol. 16 No. 1.
- Mateus, S.G. (2014). Review of Translanguaging: Language, Bilingualism, and Education, by Ofelia Garcia and Li Wei. Bilingual Research Journal, Vol. 37, Issue 3.
- Mateus, S. G. (2014). Review of Additive Schooling in Subtractive Times: Bilingual Education and Dominican Youth in the Heights, by Lesley Bartlett and Ofelia Garcia Language and Education, Vol. 28, Issue 3.
- 2017. How do heritage speakers support their 3rd generation children bilingual development? An urgent call for making connections between family and institutional language policy decisions. Poster Presentation. November 30, American Anthropological Association (AAA).
- 2017. One Way or Two Way Dual Language: Developing Bilingualism in the Borderlands. Paper Presentation. April 27, American Education Research Association (AERA).
- 2016. Breaking Away From the Multilingual Solitudes. The Role of Translanguaging Pedagogies in Emergent Bilinguals’ Co-construction of Positive Identities in a Dual Language Program. Panel Discussion. April 12, American Association for Applied Linguistics (AAAL).
- 2015. “One Time the Police Called Another Police y La Llevaron Pa’tras a Mexico.” Emerging Bilinguals’ Co-Construction of Identity in a Two-Way Immersion Dual Language Program. November 22, American Anthropological Association (AAA).
- 2013. Deepening Understandings Across Cultures through Dramatic Interpretations of Picturebooks. April 21, International Reading Association (IRA).
- 2013. “La Llevaron Pa’tras” Heritage Speakers, Linguistic Resources, and Identity in a Dual Language Classroom. March 19, American Association for Applied Linguistics (AAAL).
- 2012. Investigating 21st Century Literacies: Exploring Uses of New Literacies. November 30th, Literacy Research Association (LRA).
- 2012. A Jugar con los cuentos! Process Drama with Multicultural Children’s Literature to promote critical thinking and develop cross-cultural awareness. October 25, Texas Association of Bilingual Education (TABE).
- 2012. Investing in Bilingual Identities: Reframing the Debate on Language Separation. October 20, Center for Advanced Research on Language Education (CARLA).
- 2012. Dual Language Enrichment Bilingual Education: Understanding Each Other and the World Through Dramatic Enactments of Multicultural Children’s Literature. April 13, American Education Research Association (AERA).
- 2012. She was born speaking English and Spanish! Bilingual Status in a Kindergarten Two-Way Dual Language Classroom. February 25, Texas Foreign Language Education Conference (TexFLEC).
Invited Community Presentations
- 2017. April 12, Spanish in the U.S.A. Wichita State University. Wichita, Kansas (Online Presentation)
- 2016. October 17, Language Arts. University of Texas. Austin, Texas.
- 2016. October 19, Early Biliteracy. University of Texas - Rio Grande Valley (Online Presentation)
- 2016. November 7, Teaching Reading in the Elementary School. University of Texas. Austin, Texas.
- 2014. La importancia del Bilinguismo en tiempos actuales. August 6, Programa de Carrera de Ingenieria de Empresas en La Universidad Catolica de Santiago de Guayaquil.
Honors and Awards
- 2017. Southwestern University, Community Engaged Learning (CEL) Fellowship
- 2016. University of Texas, Professional Development Award
- 2015. University of Texas, Alexander Caswell Ellis Fellowship in Education
- 2015. University of Texas, Professional Development Award
- 2015. University of Texas, Graduate School Sumer Fellowship
- 2012. University of Texas, Professional Development Award
- 2012. University of Texas, Alexander Caswell Ellis Fellowship in Education
- 2011. University of Texas, Alexander Caswell Eliis Fellowship in Education
- 2010. University of Texas, Alexander Caswell Ellis Fellowship in Education
- 2004. University of Michigan, School of Education Fellowship
- 2011-2017. American Education Research Association (AERA): Bilingual Education SIG, Language and Social Processes SIG, and Teaching and Teacher Education SIG
- 2015-2017. American Anthropological Association (AAA): Anthropology and Educaiton SIG and Language and Social Processes SIG
- 2009-2015. American Association for Applied Linguistics (AAAL)