Processed by: Brown, Mandy
Date Processed: 04/2001
“The Glamazons” was a “Tall Girls’ Club” founded at Southwestern University in 1946 during the John Nelson Russell Score administration. The group, originally called Basileis, had 26 charter members, who had to be at least 5 feet 7 inches tall. The Dean of Women, Mrs. Ruth M. Ferguson, described the club’s members as “representing a cross-section of the six social organizations on the campus.” The charter members chose the white calla lily as the organization’s flower, and the phrase “Divinely tall, divinely fair.” as their motto. According to it’s constitution, the purpose of the organization was “to promote pride in height, grace, poise, and dignity among its members, and to form closer bonds of friendship and maintain high cultural standards.” The executive officers voted to disband on May 25, 1956.
The collection includes two slightly different constitutions, a brief history of the organization written by the Dean of Women, Mrs. Ruth M. Ferguson, and a copy of “Regulations Governing Student Organizations at Southwestern University.” All of these items are undated and are filed at the beginning of the collection. Other items, arranged chronologically according to school year, include membership lists, speeches, correspondence, invitations, annual reports, miscellaneous items, and a single short story about a tall young woman.