Sprog Pre-Orientation Day: Next Steps
- Photo by Maritza Robles
FOREIGN LANGUAGE PLACEMENT EXAM (read carefully)
- This is the first step you must take before registering for classes at Sprog Day. Taking this exam does not mean that you will have to select a foreign language class for your first semester, however, it is a required step to take before you register. Your fall course registration cannot be completed until you have done so.
- All students who plan to continue a language previously studied, who are not transferring credit from another institution, must go to the Modern Languages Web Page to take your Language Placement Exam at least one week prior to your Sprog Day event.
- All students must take 3 semesters of a foreign language as part of Southwestern’s General Education requirements. This exam will help us place you in the appropriate class.
- The password for the exam is pirates1.
- You will need to enter your full first and last names to take the exam.
- You will not need a student ID number and should leave that field blank.
- Note: Students taking the Latin exam must read the instruction specific to that exam.
1. HOUSING OPTIONS
- Login to my.southwestern.edu and click on WebAdvisor to review and complete the ‘First-Year Students – Preferences for Housing and First-Year Seminar’ from under Student Life.
2. HEALTH RECORD FORMS
- Please be sure to turn in the required health forms during your Sprog Pre-Orientation Day visit.
- A copy can be found in the Deposit Packet jump drive that was mailed to your home address.
- Our Health Center will have a table set up in the Prothro Center Atrium, where you can turn in these forms and get your questions answered.
3. FERPA INFORMATION RELEASE FORM
- Due to Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) regulations, Southwestern cannot discuss bills, financial aid, or send grade reports to parents.
- If the student is willing, he or she may voluntarily give written consent by signing a FERPA Information Release Waiver, giving Southwestern permission discuss your educational records in written, oral and electronic formats.
4. MOTOR VEHICLE REGISTRATION
- Every student bringing a vehicle to campus must fill out a Motor Vehicle Registration/Parking Permit card.
- The fee associated with a motor vehicle registration is $100 per semester.
- If you are planning to have a car on campus this fall, please bring the appropriate vehicle information with you, so you can complete the necessary paperwork for your campus parking sticker. View this sample card for the required information.
- Students not bringing a car to campus this fall must fill out a parking permit waiver form. Information will be available at the Sprog Day event.
- All forms will be available in the Smith Library Center starting at 11:00 am.
4. DISABILITY SERVICES
- If you need accommodations because of a disability or have any disability-related questions, please visit the Academic Success webpage with Services for Students with Disabilities.
Please keep in mind that Sprog is a “Pre-Orientation” activity. Students are required to attend New Student Orientation the week of August 16 - 23, and parents are highly encouraged to participate in Parent Orientation on August 16 & 17.