Preventative Maintenance Technician
Closed: When Filled
Southwestern University invites applications for the position of Preventative Maintenance Technician. The Preventive Maintenance Technician will ensure the efficient operation and longevity of the university’s critical HVAC equipment, central plant, boilers, water heaters, and various mechanical systems. They will play a vital role in preserving the comfort and safety of the university’s campus community by conducting scheduled inspections, servicing, and preventive maintenance tasks. This is a full-time, non-exempt, fully benefitted position.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Develop and implement preventive maintenance schedules and procedures to minimize downtime and ensure optimal performance of equipment. Perform tasks such as lubrication, filter changes, and calibration. Respond to work orders and radio dispatches to make necessary repairs in a timely manner.
- Conduct scheduled inspections, maintenance, and servicing of air handlers, central plant (including three 800-ton chillers and associated towers), HVAC equipment, boilers, water heaters, pumps, motors, and other mechanical systems.
- Identify and diagnose equipment issues and malfunctions. Collaborate with other technicians and facilities staff to troubleshoot and resolve problems promptly.
- Maintain accurate records of maintenance activities, equipment conditions, and service reports. Utilize computerized maintenance management systems (CMMS) to track work orders and update equipment histories. Perform preventative maintenance tasks on all assigned equipment and facilities.
- Respond to emergency maintenance calls, breakdowns, and system failures as needed. Act swiftly to minimize disruptions and ensure safety.
- Follow all safety protocols and guidelines while working on equipment. Ensure that all maintenance activities adhere to safety regulations and standards.
- Manage and organize spare parts inventory to ensure the availability of necessary components for repairs and replacements.
- Stay updated on the latest advancements in HVAC technology and maintenance practices. Provide guidance and training to junior technicians when required.
- Collaborate with other members of the facilities management team to coordinate maintenance schedules, projects, and equipment upgrades.
- Maintain documentation of equipment warranties, manuals, and technical specifications. Assist in the procurement of replacement parts and materials
- High school diploma or GED.
- A minimum of 3 year’s experience as a Preventive Maintenance Technician or a similar role in HVAC and mechanical systems maintenance.
- Basic knowledge of HVAC systems, chillers, boilers, pumps, motors, and related equipment.
- Familiarity with computerized maintenance management systems (CMMS) and basic computer skills
- Ability to troubleshoot and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Possess knowledge of safety protocols and regulations.
- Possess strong effective communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to lift, carry and move heavy equipment and materials
- Ability to work in confined spaces and heights.
- Willingness to work outdoors and in various weather conditions.
- Relevant technical certifications or trade school training.
Southwestern University offers competitive salary and benefits including health, dental, life, long term disability, retirement, paid holidays, vacation, sick leave, under graduate tuition assistance for you and your dependents, access to athletic facilities, free parking and discounted meal rates. Southwestern University is a selective, undergraduate institution committed to a broad-based liberal arts, sciences, and fine arts education. Southwestern University is deeply committed to fostering a diverse educational environment and especially encourages applications from members of groups traditionally under-represented in academia. For information concerning the University, visit our website at www.southwestern.edu.
To apply: The University will only accept application materials through Interfolio at apply.interfolio.com/136778. Interested persons must submit a resume. Email and paper applications will not be accepted. Only completed applications will be reviewed by the Search Committee. The Committee will review all completed applications until the position is filled. All offers of employment are contingent on successful completion of the University’s Background Check Policy process. Southwestern University is an E-Verify employer. EOE/M/F
Inclusion is the deliberate effort to create an environment in which people from all backgrounds* are not only included but welcomed, valued, respected, considered, and supported within our community. People from marginalized (i.e., devalued) and/or minoritized (i.e, underrepresented) groups are heard, seen, respected and accepted in all aspects of our community. Southwestern University is committed to inclusive excellence that provides access and support, enables participation, and removes barriers so that all people within our community are empowered and can thrive in a campus that is welcoming and validating.
*including but not limited to people of color (race, ethnicity, nationality), sex, sexual identity, gender identity, age, physical and mental disabilities, socioeconomic status, religion, immigrants, and the intersection of these identities.
Jeanne Clery Statement: Notice of Availability of Annual Security and Fire Safety Report— Southwestern University Annual Safety and Fire Report is available online at https://www.southwestern.edu/life-at-southwestern/safety-security/annual-security-reports/ containing mandated information about current campus policies concerning safety and security issues, required statistics, and other related information for the past three calendar years. To obtain a paper copy of the report, please call 512-863-1435.