Venue and Production Manager
Closed: When filled
Venue and Production Manager
Sarofim School of Fine Arts - Southwestern University
Reporting to the Director of the Sarofim School of Fine Arts Administration, the Venue and Production Manager is the lead team member responsible for the planning, supervision and management of productions and events at Southwestern University’s Alma Thomas Fine Arts Center. Southwestern produces over 75 events during the academic year for the Music and Theatre Departments. Additionally, the University rents venues during the off-season to a variety of outside constituencies. This position is responsible for all needs, including audio/visual aspects, for all priority events in the Fine Arts Center for the University as a whole. This position supports the full slate of backstage operations and supervises a team of student Technical Assistants who work in four performance venues. The ideal candidate is a team-oriented collaborator who leads with integrity and is able to shift roles seamlessly in a fast-paced environment. The Venue and Production Manager prioritizes the education of the Southwestern student above all else. This position requires evening and weekend work. For information about the Sarofim School of Fine Arts, please visit https://www.southwestern.edu/sarofim/ and the Sarofim School of Fine Arts video channel.
Primary Job Duties:
- Manages the day-to-day operations of the performance spaces within the Fine Arts Center.
- Oversees, coordinates, and participates in concert/performance preparation activities including lighting, sound, video, and rigging.
- Operates a variety of equipment and machinery related to theater and live production including sound, lighting, and video equipment.
- Learns and applies emerging technologies and advances as necessary to perform duties in an efficient, organized, and timely manner.
- Schedules, plans, organizes, and coordinates the use of facilities with various University departments and staff.
- Collaborates with the Director of Conference & Event Sales and with the Director of University Events on the usage of Fine Arts spaces by outside performing groups, community groups and the general public.
- Collaborate with the Audio-Visual Coordinator for support of events in the Fine Arts spaces.
- Provides technical support for venue rental, including but not limited to helping non-artistic renters understand and comply with the venue policies to allow for the best event possible.
- Oversees the maintenance and enforcement of fire, safety, and health regulations.
- Ensures all events adhere to established building safety policy particularly as related to crowd control and municipal fire safety codes.
- Assures that facilities and equipment are maintained appropriately; arranges for equipment repair as necessary.
- Supervises student crews for all performances
- Bachelor’s degree in theatre production or a related field or completion of an equivalent in-depth specialized training program that is directly related to the type of work being performed.
- Minimum of three years experience in theater production management within the last five years and/or equivalent experience in other live events to include stage lighting, sound, video, and rigging.
- Experience leading and managing groups of artistic and production teams that include students.
- Experience with and use of Google and Microsoft Office Suites.
- Proficiency with at least one computer aided design (CAD) program.
- Demonstrated excellent communication and customer service skills.
- Ability to work both independently and as a member of a team, exercising judgment in prioritizing a variety of duties.
- Ability to understand diverse perspectives and acknowledge the significance of differences and complexities in background, cultures, values, and viewpoints as the foundation for an inclusive environment.
- Proficiency in setting up and troubleshooting audio/visual systems.
- Master of Fine Arts (MFA) degree in scenic lighting or sound.
- Established work experience at more than one theatrical venue.
- Experience with Vectorworks.
- Competency in budget management.
- Previous performing arts center experience.
Interested persons should submit a letter of interest, resume, the name and contact information of three professional references, and sample CAD drawings to Interfolio at apply.interfolio.com/136390. Email and paper applications will not be accepted. Only completed applications will be reviewed by the Search Committee. The Committee will review all completed applications until the position is filled. All offers of employment are contingent on successful completion of the University’s Background Check Policy process. Southwestern University is an E-Verify employer. EOE/M/F
Inclusion is the deliberate effort to create an environment in which people from all backgrounds* are not only included but welcomed, valued, respected, considered, and supported within our community. People from marginalized (i.e., devalued) and/or minoritized (i.e, underrepresented) groups are heard, seen, respected and accepted in all aspects of our community. Southwestern University is committed to inclusive excellence that provides access and support, enables participation, and removes barriers so that all people within our community are empowered and can thrive in a campus that is welcoming and validating.
*including but not limited to people of color (race, ethnicity, nationality), sex, sexual identity, gender identity, age, physical and mental disabilities, socioeconomic status, religion, immigrants, and the intersection of these identities.
Jeanne Clery Statement: Notice of Availability of Annual Security and Fire Safety Report— Southwestern University Annual Safety and Fire Report is available online at https://www.southwestern.edu/life-at-southwestern/safety-security/annual-security-reports/ containing mandated information about current campus policies concerning safety and security issues, required statistics, and other related information for the past three calendar years. To obtain a paper copy of the report, please call 512-863-1435.