Athletics Communications Director
Closed: when filled
Southwestern University in Georgetown, Texas has an opening for an Athletics Communication Director. This position will promote, publicize and report on all athletic events and competitions. The Athletics Communication Director will serve as the strategic planner for all internal and external communication, messaging, and storytelling for the athletic department while serving as the primary media contact. Additionally, this position is responsible for statistics gathering, tabulating, and reporting both team and individual data to the NCAA and our athletic conferences (SCAC, ASC, and HCLC). This position will work closely with the Office of Marketing and Communications. This is a full-time, fully benefited, exempt position who reports to the Director of Intercollegiate Athletics.
- Responsible for web design and maintenance of the Athletics website.
- Manage game-day administrative matters and logistics as they apply to providing sports information.
- Write pre and post-game press releases.
- Market athletic events to the local (Georgetown and Southwestern) communities.
- Release pertinent athletic information to the national news outlets.
- Provide game stats, live stats, and webcasting for sports that require it.
- Provide the necessary statistical data and information to the SCAC, ASC, HCLC, and NCAA.
- Manage the Athletic Department’s various social media platforms.
- Maintain athletic archives.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Represent the Athletic Department on various communication committees across campus.
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, or a related field.
- Command of the written language
- Computer knowledge to include: HTML, StatCrew, Word, Publisher, Excel, Photoshop, basic networking, etc.
- Experience with webcasting and live stats setup.
- Knowledge of Southwestern University and NCAA requirements regarding publications and promotions.
- Ability to communicate effectively with athletic administrators, coaches, and news media.
- Proven supervisory and management skills.
- Demonstrated leadership skills, including a strong work ethic.
- Basic photography and photo editing skills.
- Willingness to adhere to the University’s core values.
- Possess excellent interaction and communication skills (verbal and written).
- Have knowledge, understanding, and acceptance of cultural differences and diversity within the campus and community.
- Demonstrated professional manner with all internal and external University constituents.
- Ability to be flexible, adjust to fluctuating priorities, and produce a reliable work product.
- Proven ability to perform well in stressful situations.
- Ability and willingness to travel utilizing standard, commercial, and personal modes of transportation.
- Understanding and commitment to a liberal arts education, including the ability to relate to a liberal arts faculty.
- Ability to attend work consistently and maintain a regular work schedule.
Preferred Position Requirements:
- Master’s degree in communications, journalism, or a related field.
- Two or more years of sports information experience, including one or more years of experience in a university setting.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
Southwestern University offers competitive salary and benefits including health, dental, life, long term disability, retirement, paid holidays, vacation and sick leave, tuition assistance, access to athletic facilities, free parking and discounted meal rates. Southwestern University is a selective, undergraduate institution committed to a broad-based liberal arts, sciences, and fine arts education. Located in Georgetown, Texas, 28 miles north of Austin, Southwestern is affiliated with The United Methodist Church. Southwestern University is deeply committed to fostering a diverse educational environment and especially encourages applications from members of groups traditionally under-represented in academia. Southwestern is a member of the NCAA Division III and the Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference (SCAC). More information on the University is available at www.southwestern.edu or http://southwesternpirates.com/landing/index. More information on the SCAC is available at http://www.scacsports.com/landing/index.
To apply: The University will only accept application materials through Interfolio at apply.interfolio.com/113095. Interested persons must submit a letter of interest, resume, and the names and contact information of three professional references. Email and paper applications will not be accepted. Only completed applications will be reviewed by the Search Committee. The Committee will review all completed applications until the position is filled. All offers of employment are contingent on successful completion of the University’s Background Check Policy process. EOE/M/F