S-STEM Scholarship Program
January 25, 2022
Through the generosity of the National Science Foundation (NSF), Southwestern received a $1.5 million grant to support students with financial need who wish to study in natural science disciplines.
Qualified students may earn an NSF S-STEM merit scholarship worth $7,500 or $10,000 per year (renewable up to four years). S-STEM Scholars may receive this award in addition to any general merit scholarships awarded by Southwestern in the admission process.
Scholarship recipients also participate in programming designed to support their success while preparing them to become future leaders in the sciences. S-STEM Scholars engage in cohort experiences and classes with their peers, receive customized academic advising as well as faculty and alumni mentoring, and participate in regular health and wellness activities. S-STEM Scholars are also provided with fellowships so they can explore their interests in undergraduate research, academic internships, and studying abroad.
Key S-STEM Scholars Program components:
- $7,500 or $10,000 annual merit scholarships
- Participation in our summer science program, EQUIP
- Cohort experiences and classes
- Faculty and alumni mentoring
- Fellowships to support undergraduate research, academic internships, and study abroad
- Health and wellness activities
Application & Selection Process:
- Students wishing to apply for this scholarship must submit a supplemental essay by February 11, 2022 to be considered.
- Students must be planning to major in at least one of the following fields: biochemistry, biology, chemistry, computational mathematics, computer science, mathematics, or physics.
- Selected candidates will be invited to participate in an on-campus S-STEM Scholars Day on Monday, March 28, 2022.
Support for this program is provided by the National Science Foundation Scholarships in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (S-STEM) program under Award No. 2130140.