Closing Date: when filled
Southwestern University invites applications for the position of Senior Accountant. This position performs project based accounting and general reconciliations and accounting support for Business Office operations.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Responsible for overseeing all construction accounts including working closely with Facilities Management and preparing project set-up, maintaining budgets, review of construction expenditures, and project close-out.
- Prepare journal entries for completed construction projects during the year and all construction in progress at fiscal year-end.
- Maintain and update direct deposit information for all employees on payroll and accounts payable, except current student
- Prepare normal monthly repeating journal entries as required.
- Prepare monthly reconciliations for most bank accounts, all investment accounts, give-campus, cashnet, Pell Grants, and Direct Loan programs.
- Coordinate faculty development awards and interact with the Dean of Faculty’s Office staff to ensure proper awarding, accounting and reporting of faculty development funds, including monitoring budgets on a monthly basis.
- Monitor and record activity for Charitable Remainder Trusts & Perpetual Trusts (Funds Held in Trust by Others) by various custodians.
- Prepare schedule for trusts (FHITBO) & then prepare year-end adjusting journal
- Provide general support of internal controls and
- Prepare schedules for accurately summarizing the funding of Endowed Chairs.
- Assist in preparation and/or review of Forms 990, 990-T and other annual tax reports and numerous related schedules.
- Provide assistance with audit preparation and year-end accounting processes.
- Perform other duties as assigned
Requirements: Bachelor’s degree; three years professional-level accounting experience; possess strong accounting and data analysis skills and astute problem solving ability; demonstrate strong understanding in budgeting, project accounting and financial record keeping; demonstrate advanced excel and word processing software skills; ability to work independently and as part of a team; demonstrated leadership skills, including a strong work ethic; excellent organizational skills and the ability to handle multiple tasks with a keen attention to detail, understanding, and acceptance of cultural differences and the diversity within the campus and community; ability to be flexible, adjust to fluctuating priorities, and produce reliable work product; proven ability to perform well in stressful situations; understanding and commitment to a liberal arts education, including the ability to relate to a liberal arts faculty. Preferred: five plus years of professional level accounting experience; prior experience using Datatel and work experience in higher education or non-profit organization.
Southwestern University offers competitive salary and benefits including health, dental, life, long term disability, retirement, 15-paid holidays, vacation, sick leave, tuition assistance, access to athletic facilities, free parking and discounted meal rates. Southwestern University is a selective, undergraduate institution committed to a broad-based liberal arts, sciences, and fine arts education. Southwestern University is deeply committed to fostering a diverse educational environment and especially encourages applications from members of groups traditionally under-represented in academia. For information concerning the University, visit our Web site at www.southwestern.edu.
To apply: The University will only accept application materials through Interfolio at apply.interfolio.com/89881. Interested persons must submit a letter of interest, resume, the name and contact information of three professional references, and salary expectation. Email and paper applications will not be accepted. Only completed applications will be reviewed by the Search Committee. The Committee will review all completed applications until the position is filled. All offers of employment are contingent on successful completion of the University’s Background Check Policy process. EOE/M/F