Director of Housing Operations and Staffing
Closing Date: when filled
Southwestern University seeks candidates for Director of Housing Operations and Staffing. This position has leadership of and operational responsibility for on-campus housing. The Director develops and administers policies and procedures designed to ensure student safety and well-being and enhanced student persistence and success. This is a full-time, benefited position reporting to the Vice President for Student Life.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Execute daily housing operations including marketing/promotion of University housing, room assignments, billing, RA hiring & training, policy, room changes.
- Oversee the selection, training, supervision, and evaluation of the student staff and three live-in professional staff members.
- Oversee staff on-call processes and ensure adequate coverage particularly with evenings, weekends and holidays.
- Work with Facilities Management on the assessment process of a Housing Facilities Master plan encompassing construction, renovation, deferred maintenance, renewal and replacement, as well as general and preventative maintenance.
- Coordinate and implement housing processes:
- Oversee all hall opening/closing processes.
- Work collaboratively with campus partners in a vision for on-campus housing, including existing and future housing needs.
- Coordinate, systematize and communicate the housing sign-up/room selection/assignment process.
- Create and program campus lock credentials for all residential card access.
- Work cooperatively with various departments on issues of facility maintenance, room assignments, roommate conflicts, verification of occupancy, safety and security related matters, and damage assessment/condition.
- Perform data entry for housing and meal plans including room changes throughout each semester.
- Compile an annual analysis of competitive market housing rates and make recommendations for room rate structures.
- Manage requests for exemptions and releases from housing contract.
- Assist with the creation, implementation, and evaluation of the department’s strategic plan, mission, and goals.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree in student affairs, higher education, counseling, or related field.
- Five years of professional experience in Student Affairs administration, with at least 3 years being in housing at a management level.
- Outstanding ability to relate to traditional college-aged students.
- General knowledge regarding student development theory and practices.
- Excellent computer skills utilizing software such as Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Proven supervisory and management skills.
- Demonstrated leadership skills, including a strong work ethic.
- Willingness to adhere to the University’s core values.
- Seven or more years of professional experience in Student Affairs administration, with an emphasis in housing or residence life, with five or more years’ experience at the management level.
- Experience with Greek life (4 NIFC fraternities, 4 NPC sororities, 1 NPHC and 1 NALFO sorority).
Southwestern University offers competitive salary and benefits including health, dental, life, long term disability, retirement, 15-paid holidays, vacation, sick leave, tuition assistance, access to athletic facilities, free parking and discounted meal rates. Southwestern University is a selective, undergraduate institution committed to a broad-based liberal arts, sciences, and fine arts education. Southwestern University is deeply committed to fostering a diverse educational environment and especially encourages applications from members of groups traditionally under-represented in academia. For information concerning the University, visit our Web site at www.southwestern.edu.
To apply: The University will only accept application materials through Interfolio at apply.interfolio.com/62010. Interested persons must submit a letter of interest, resume, the names and contact information of three professional references and salary expectation. Email and paper applications will not be accepted. Only completed applications will be reviewed by the Search Committee. The Committee will review all completed applications until the position is filled and plans to move quickly through the search process. Interested individuals are strongly encouraged to submit application materials as quickly as possible.
All offers of employment are contingent on successful completion of the University’s Background Check Policy process. EOE/M/F