Closing Date: when filled
This position has been revised and re-posted. If you applied for the original posting and are still interested, you must re-apply through the new link below to be considered.
Southwestern University has an immediate opening for a Sustainability Coordinator. Together with the Manager of Facilities Services, this position works collaboratively with administration, faculty, staff, and students to develop, coordinate, and promote effective sustainability initiatives to reduce the University’s impact on the environment. In a joint effort, this position plans, implements, organizes, tracks, and monitors all aspects of waste diversion, waste reduction operations, recycling, energy conservation, and other environmental sustainability initiatives. This is a full-time, professional level position with benefits that reports to the Manager of Facilities Services.
In collaboration with the Manager of Facilities Services:
- Monitor all campus sustainability activities pertaining to Facilities Management.
- Develop, implement, and maintain campus zero waste program and associated initiatives and outreach.
- Develop, administer, and maintain sustainability programs within Facilities Management
- Serve as sustainability liaison with campus community.
- Develop and implement awareness plan for use throughout the campus.
- Prepare and track program budget and expenses.
- Write management reports and develop/make presentations on recycling activities.
- Keep abreast of current developments, trends, and practices in the field of zero waste and resource recovery.
- Perform responsible program development including managing day-to-day operations, handling public relations and monitoring and implementing programs and projects.
- Support the sustainability program performing special studies, and evaluating effects on recycling, composting, energy conservation, and zero waste initiatives.
- Create strategy to integrate sustainability principles into Facilities Management operational functions.
- Submit annual report and provide analysis of recycling, energy, and sustainability efforts.
- Develop/maintain tools, metrics, and indicators for assessing progress towards sustainability.
- Represent the University at public forums, discussions, and negotiations with various community groups or agencies.
- Establish annual goals for recycling and sustainability efforts.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- One year professional work experience in sustainability, solid waste management, resource conservation, recycling or other related environmental field. Experience may be a combination of related academic internships and professional work experience. Candidates with a bachelor’s degree with a major in an environmental field of study will be considered to meet the minimum work-related qualification.
- Must have excellent interaction and communication skills (verbal and written), including knowledge, understanding, and acceptance of cultural differences and diversity within the campus community.
- Demonstrated professional manner with all internal and external university constituencies.
- Possess problem solving skills and sound judgment.
- Ability to work both independently, without close supervision, and also as a member of a team.
- Ability to be flexible, adjust to fluctuating priorities, and produce reliable work product.
- The ability to produce reports on the recycling program and to interpret institutional policies, plans, objectives, rules and regulations, and to communicate the interpretation of the reports.
- Understanding and commitment to a liberal arts education, including the ability to relate to a liberal arts faculty.
- Willingness to adhere to the University’s core values.
- Ability to attend work consistently and maintain a regular work schedule.
Preferred Position Requirements:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Studies or related field of study.
- More than one (1) year of work experience in sustainability, solid waste management, resource conservation, or recycling beyond any internship positions.
- Experience in a university facilities services department.
Southwestern University offers competitive salary and benefits including health, dental, life, long term disability, retirement, 15-paid holidays, vacation and sick leave, tuition assistance, access to athletic facilities, free parking and discounted meal rates. Southwestern University is a selective, undergraduate institution committed to a broad-based liberal arts, sciences, and fine arts education. Southwestern University is deeply committed to fostering a diverse educational environment and especially encourages applications from members of groups traditionally under-represented in academia. For information concerning the University, visit our Web site at www.southwestern.edu.
To apply: The University will only accept application materials through Interfolio at apply.interfolio.com/59330. Interested persons must submit a letter of interest, resume, the names and contact information of three professional references and salary expectation. Email and paper applications will not be accepted. Only completed applications will be reviewed by the Search Committee. The Committee will review all completed applications until the position is filled and plans to move quickly through the search process. Interested individuals are strongly encouraged to submit application materials as quickly as possible.
All offers of employment are contingent on successful completion of the University’s Background Check Policy process. EOE/M/F