S-STEM Scholarship Program
Qualified students may compete for a merit scholarship worth $10,000 per year. Students may receive this award in addition to any general merit scholarships awarded by Southwestern in the admission process.
In addition to receiving the scholarship, recipients will get to participate in the following:
- The EQUIP summer overnight program to acquaint S-STEM Scholars with their peers, as well as Southwestern science and math faculty.
- Career seminars and programming.
- Customized academic advising and on-going professional growth activities.
- Collaborative research opportunities with Southwestern University faculty.
- Incoming first-year (fall 2017) and transfer (spring 2017 and fall 2017) students interested in pursuing majors in computer science, physics, and mathematics are preferred; students interested in chemistry, biochemistry and biology majors are also eligible to apply.
- First-year candidates must be in the top 10 percent of their high school graduating class or have a 3.7 GPA at a non-ranking school.
- Transfer candidates must have a 3.25 cumulative GPA.
- All candidates must have a minimum math SAT score of 600 (or 26 math ACT).
- Candidates should have completed four years of high school mathematics (including pre-calculus) and three years of high school science (including biology, chemistry and physics).
- The most successful scholarship applicants will have demonstrated interest in science by their choices of high school courses, extracurricular activities and/or teacher recommendations.
- Students must have demonstrated financial need as determined by the FAFSA.
Please Note: Incoming first-year student finalists will be invited to meet with the scholarship committee during Top Scholars weekend (March 5-6). Transfer student finalists will be invited to meet with the scholarship committee before the end of the summer.
Support for this program is provided by the National Science Foundation Scholarships in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (S STEM) program under Award No. 1458600.
Step 1: Fully complete Southwestern’s Application for Admission and submit all supporting documents by May 15 (for Fall 2017 transfer students) or December 15 (for fall 2017 first-year students).
Step 2: Fill out the form below and upload your Supplemental S-STEM Essay by the same deadlines listed above.