Alma Thomas Fine Arts Center
The Alma Thomas Fine Arts Center houses The Sarofim School of Fine Arts, named for arts benefactor Fayez Sarofim of Houston.
Erected in 1956 and gift of the late Mrs. Alma Thomas of Austin, Texas, a longtime trustee of the University, the three-story building contains two theaters, a recital hall, art gallery, offices, studios, practice rooms, and offices for the Art and Art History, Music and Theatre Departments.
In 1999, an 18,000-square-feet addition to the Fine Arts Center was dedicated for the study of music and the visual arts.
In 1993, a thrust stage theater facility was completed on the north side of the Alma Thomas Fine Arts Center. The performance space, made possible by a grant from Houston Endowment Inc., is named for Jesse H. Jones and Mary Gibbs Jones.
A two year, $10 million renovation to the Alma Thomas Theater was completed in 2007.
Other work completed during the 2005-07 building renovation includes an upgraded rehearsal hall, practice rooms, and the construction of new east and west entrances.
Made possible by a gift from Fayez Sarofim, it includes teaching studios for music, drawing and painting studios, a secure gallery, and faculty offices.