Exploring Majors Fair
LocationMcCombs Campus Center, Bishops Lounge
Date & Time12:00pm - 1:00pm CDT October 2
ContactSouthwestern University Center for Career & Professional Development
Prothro Center for Lifelong Learning, Ste. 140
12:00pm - 1:00pm CDT October 2
McCombs Campus Center, Bishops Lounge
The Center for Academic Success, Residence Life, and the Center for Career & Professional Development invite you to visit with faculty and student reps from each major as you explore options before registration begins. Learn about the relationship between majors and careers, and access self-assessment tools to help you identify possibilities. Sophomores, first-years, and new transfer students may find this event especially helpful.
Here are some tips to make the most of the fair:
Before the Fair
- Review the Course Catalog for information on degree and major requirements
- Check out the degree plan for the major(s) or minor(s) you are interested in
During the Fair
Faculty, staff, and/or student representatives will be available at the fair to share information about their majors and minors. Below is a list of potential questions you may want to ask the departments to help you explore your options.
- What would I learn about when studying this major?
- What minors are available in this department?
- What is expected of students in this major?
- What are good courses to take to explore this major/minor?
- What type of coursework and projects can I expect in the courses?
- What are the required courses?
- What are some of the specialties of faculty in your department?
- What are some internships, research opportunities, and/or student organizations that are associated with this major?
- Are there any specific study abroad programs that would be good for this major?
- Are there any community engaged learning experiences that I should pursue to help me try out this academic area or career path?
- What types of careers have alumni pursued with this major?
- Is graduate study/professional school required or suggested to pursue careers related to this major?
- (For student representatives) What do you like best about this major?
Also, be sure to collect any handouts, business cards, and/or flyers to follow up on information after the fair.
After the Fair
- Meet with your academic advisor to discuss your goals and courses for next semester
- Declare your major/minor when you are ready (you may change your major/minor at any time, as necessary)
- Follow up with faculty as needed
- Attend department interest meetings and relevant student organization meetings
- Consider using the TypeFocus Careers Assessment through the Center for Career & Professional Development to help you articulate your personality, interests, skills, and values and identify related career possibilities
- Visit Center for Career and Professional Development to learn more about internship and career opportunities
Southwestern University supports learning wherever it takes place. The Center for Career & Professional Development contributes to the Southwestern University Student Life MOSAIC initiative by providing advising, programming and resources to help students develop as a whole person. This event helps you to:
- Make Meaning of the Academic Experience
- Shape Identity
- Construct a Well-Managed Life