Central Texas Film Conference: Breaking In
LocationRed & Charline McCombs Campus Center
Date & Time9:00am CST November 7, 2015
ContactCindy Weigand, Bar-o-Bar Entertainment
Megan Frisque, Associate Vice President of University Relations - Alumni and Parents
9:00am CST November 7, 2015
Southwestern University alumni and Georgetown community members will host The Central Texas Film Conference: Breaking In on the Southwestern campus. The conference features speakers from around the state who work within the various aspects of the film industry and will provide a unique, hands-on experience for future and current filmmakers.
ABOUT THE EVENT
Speakers and panelists will include screenwriter Alvaro Rodriguez (keynote); Andrew Richey ’05, co-producer of Code Black; Heather Page, Texas Film Commission Director; Meredith Johns, Emmy award nominated makeup artist; and RJ Freitag, a post-production sound mixer who has worked on trailers for The Hunger Games and Django Unchained, among others.
Attendees will have opportunities to learn about screenwriting, auditioning techniques and pitching stories from industry leaders like Francois Larosa, Karen Hallford and Owen Egerton. In the afternoon, attendees will have an opportunity pitch story ideas (see guidelines) and meet the speakers.
If you would like to help sponsor the Central Texas Film Conference, please contact Cindy Weigand.
9 a.m. Check-in (Breakfast provided)
9:30 a.m. Welcome
9:45 a.m. Karen Sheldon, Georgetown Chamber of Commerce
10-10:45 a.m. Panel #1: The Biz of Film and TV
- Moderated by Jim Swift ’70, Retired KXAN reporter
- Andrew Logan, Head of Production, Arts + Labor
- Liz Atherton, The Atherton Group talent agency
- Nicholle Walton-Durban, CEO/Producer Edgen Films & Global 3 Media: Film Production & Distribution
- Suzanne Weinert, Flatiron Pictures
- Andrew Richey ’05, Producer: Code Black, Love Land, Fig, As Far the Eye Can See
10:45-11 a.m. Break
11-11:45 a.m. Panel #2: Breaking In
- Moderated by: Tom Swift ’72, Actor
- Meredith Johns: Make-up artist
- RJ Freitag: Post-production Sound Mixer: (movie trailers) The Cabin in the Woods, The Butler, Silver Linings Playbook, Django Unchained, The Expendables
- Philip Roy, Director of Photography/Cinematographer
- Mark C. Wilson, Editor/Composer/Actor, Land of Leopold
- Carlton Caudle, Actor
11:45 a.m. - 12:10 p.m. Lunch
12:10-1 p.m. Keynote Speaker: Alvaro Rodriguez, Screenwriter
1:15-1:45 p.m. Speaker: Heather Page, Texas Film Commission
1:45-2 p.m. Speaker: Iliana Sosa ’07, Artist Services Manager, Austin Film Society
2:15-3:15 p.m. Breakout sessions
- Topic #1: Put it on Paper-Screenwriting 101; Bryan Poyser
- Topic #2: What Does a Producer Do? Producing 101; Andrew Richey ’05
- Topic #3: Playing Your Part: On-Camera Auditioning Techniques; Karen Hallford, Casting Works
- Topic #4: The Art of Pitching: How to Pitch Your Story Idea; Owen Egerton
3:30-5:30 p.m. Pitch Fest and Reception
Attendees can register if they will deliver at 90-second pitch (e.g., film idea). Click here for the pitch guidelines.
Judges: Alvaro Rodriguez, Owen Edgerton, Liz Atherton and Nicholle Walton-Durban
Registration is required. Tickets for Professional Attendees are $40 per person. Tickets for Student Attendees (college or high school) are $20 per person. All ticket prices include conference admission, continental breakfast, lunch and snacks.