Guidelines for Serving Alcohol
All officially recognized SU student organizations may host an event where alcoholic beverages are provided to those guests who are 21+ years old and appear on a guest list submitted for the event.
On-campus facilities where organizations may routinely hold events include the Julie Puett Howry Center, the Dorothy Manning Lord Residential Center, the Korouva Milk Bar or the fraternity houses. In order to host an event in a larger facility (e.g. the Ballrooms in the McCombs Campus Center or the Score Quadrangle), organizations will need to obtain special permission and schedule a meeting with the Director of Student Activities a minimum of six weeks in advance.
Recommended checklist for student organizations in preparing to host an event with alcohol on campus:
- Reserve an appropriate facility to host the event.
- Meet with the Director of Student Activities at least two weeks before the event to discuss basic parameters of the event (e.g. number of guests, type of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages that will be served, location of the event and whether or not a security officer will be required).
- Download and submit a completed SU Alcohol Event Request Form a minimum of 5 business days in advance to the Director of Student Activities. Important note: At least two certified students (with either TABC or TIPS for the University certifications) will be required to act as servers at the event. Be advised that TIPS certification is now available for free to members of all SU student organizations (students may use the form below to register for an upcoming TIPS workshop).
- Be advised that events with guest lists of more than 150 students will be required to hire a security officer from an agency approved by SUPD. Download the current list of SUPD approved security agencies
- Submit a guest list at least 24 hours in advance of the event and then pickup wristbands to identify those 21+ years old from Director of Student Activities.
In order to view the entire SU Alcohol Policy, please download an excerpt of the 2017-18 Student Handbook. Please direct questions to Derek Timourian, Associate Dean for Student Life and Director of Student Activities at 512-863-1665 or email@example.com.