Below are some of our frequently asked questions. If yours isn’t answered or you have additional questions about residence life at Southwestern please contact us directly.
Frequently Asked Questions
Which Halls Close on Saturday, December 11 at Noon?
All first-year residence halls (Clark, Mabee, Brown-Cody, and Ruter), fraternity houses (KA and Pike), and Herman Brown and Moody-Shearn halls will close at noon on Saturday, December 11, 2021 for winter break
If I live in one of these halls, do I have to move my personal belongings out on 12/11/21?
No. You will receive a checklist that will outline what you need to do before you leave.
If I live in one of these halls, will I need to schedule a check-out time?
Yes. You will receive an email before Thanksgiving Break outlining where you can/how to sign up for a checkout time with an RA. The purpose of these check-outs will be to ensure you have completed all of the items on the checklist.
What sort of items will be included on the Fall 2021 Closing Check-Out Checklist?
Ensure that all doorways and AC vents are not blocked. Bag and dispose of all trash properly. Remove any perishable items. Unplug appliances (minus fridges). Close and lock all windows and shut blinds.
If I do not live in one of these Halls (McCombs, DLC, Lord Center), but am leaving for all or a portion of Winter Break, do I need to schedule a check-out time?
No. However, we will still ask that you complete the apartment checklist that will be provided to you before departing.
When will these halls reopen?
Clark, Mabee, Brown-Cody, Ruter, Kappa Alpha, Pi Kappa Alpha, Herman Brown, Moody-Shearn will reopen Friday, January 7, 2022 at 10 am.
What If I am not returning for the Spring 2022 Semester?
If you are not returning for the Spring 2022 semester, you must complete the Intent to Vacate Form by October 24, 2021.
Students who are not returning to SU Housing (Lord Center, Dorothy Lord Center, and McCombs Residential Center) for the Spring 2022 Semester must vacate and check out of their space by 2 p.m. on December 12th.
If I am checking out or not returning, how do I sign up for a check-out time?
You will receive an email before Thanksgiving Break outlining how to sign-up for a check-out time that will include additional logistical instructions.
What if I would like to request a room change for the Spring 2022 Semester?
You must complete the Intent to Vacate Form by October 24, 2021.
When will I find out if I received my requested room change?
By November 10th.
What if I am returning from study abroad, returning from leave, transferring in, etc., and would like to move on-campus for the Spring 2022 semester?
If you are a new student, returning to campus from studying abroad, or hoping to move back on campus, please complete the Spring 2022 Housing Request form by October 31, 2021.
Pirate Preparedness Kit
- Face coverings
- Hand sanitizer - with an alcohol solution of at least 70% alcohol
- Disinfectant/Disinfectant Wipes - The most common EPA registered household disinfectants will work. Use disinfectants appropriate for the surface
- Hand soap
- First-Aid Kit
- Insurance Cards
- Prescribed medication
Linens and Laundry
- Linens (bed sizes are different for each hall, see your individual residence hall page to find the size)
- Laundry Basket/Bag
- Laundry Detergent/Dryer Sheets
- Alarm clock
- Computer and charger
- Study lamp
- Coffee pot
- Posters, decorations, etc.
- 3M Command Adhesive Strips (for hanging pictures/posters on walls in Ruter, Mabee, and Clark)
- Push pins (for hanging pictures/posters on walls in Brown-Cody)
- Microwave (coordinate with your roommate)
- Refrigerator (no larger than 4.3 cubic ft.) (coordinate with your roommate)
- Bath/Face Cleanser,
- Tweezers, Nail Clippers,
- Razor/Shaving Cream,
- Lotion/Facial Moisturizer,
- Hair Dryer
- Toilet bowl cleaner/brush
- pets (except fish in under 10 gallon tank)
- halogen lamps
- candles and incense
- hot plates
- air fryers
- refrigerator larger than 4.3 cubic ft.
- anything with open burner (hot plate, toaster, crock pot, portable grill, etc.)
- extra furniture that the university already provides (university owned
- furniture cannot be removed from room, this includes mattresses)
- wireless routers or wireless access points
Please see your individual residence hall page to see specifics on furniture provided by the University, room layouts, and dimensions.
Washers and dryers are provided in residence halls on campus. Each load is 1.25 to wash and 1.25 to dry and you pay with your Pirate Card.
There is an on-campus residency requirement at Southwestern for students who have had less than four full-time semesters in college. Incoming students must be at least 17 years of age at the time of initial occupancy to live in University housing.