Below are some of our frequently asked questions. If yours isn’t answered or you have additional questions about residence life at Southwestern please contact us directly.
Frequently Asked Questions
Those students not on the unlimited meal plan are only able to utilize a meal swipe once during each of the following time periods:Breakfast - 7:30 am - 9:30 amContinental Breakfast - 9:30 am - 10:30 amLunch - 10:30 am - 2:30 pmAfternoon Snack - 2:30 pm - 5:00 pmDinner - 5:00 pm - 8:00 pmIf you wish to eat more than once during these time blocks (and are not on the unlimited plan), you are able to use one meal plan swipe for one entry into the Commons and then utilize your dining dollars/Pirate Buc$ to gain a second entrance.These are the current meal plans offered and their associated costs:Unlimited meals (includes $50 Dining Dollars + $75 Pirate Buc$ per semester)……………… $6,17915 meals per week (includes $125 Dining Dollars + $75 Pirate Buc$ per semester) … ……. $5,53512 meals per week (includes $125 Dining Dollars + $75 Pirate Buc$ per semester) …………$5,314165 block of meals/semester (includes $175 Dining Dollars + $75 Pirate Buc$/semester).. $5,3149 meals per week (includes $150 Dining Dollars + $75 Pirate Buc$ per semester) ………. .. $4,979140 block of meals/semester(includes $150 Dining Dollars + $75 Pirate Buc$/semester)….$4,9795 meals per week (includes $100 Pirate Buc$ per semester)………………………………. ……….$2,169(Note: All meal plans include an 8.25% sales tax. 5 meal plan only available to those residing in the Lord Center, the Dorothy Lord Center, the fraternity houses, or off campus)
Will I have assistance in unloading my car?
- Yes, move-in assistance will be available from 9AM to 1PM in First-Year Halls. Make sure your items are labeled with name and room number.
We recommend that you bring the following to manage your move:
- Small furniture dollies and/or wagons
- Containers or suitcases that can stack and roll
- Comfortable clothing and shoes
- Water and or hydrating beverages (Gatorade, Powerade, etc.)
Do I have to have my move in complete within the arrival window I signed up for?
- You do not have to complete the entire move-in process during the arrival window. This window is for you to arrive on campus, get to your hall, and unload your belongings.
How many people can I bring with me to Move-In?
- There is no limit to the number of cars or guests you bring with you.
Am I required to exit the building at a certain time on New Student Move-In Days?
- Parents, families, and guests will need to exit the building prior to the start of community meetings.
What if I’m a fall athlete?
- First-year fall athletes (except football) will need to sign up for a regularly scheduled move-in time.
What if I’m an international student?
- International students will receive specific instructions from the Study Abroad and International Student Services Office.
Washers and dryers are provided in residence halls on campus. Each load is 1.25 to wash and 1.25 to dry and you pay for laundry services by using the CSC Go mobile application.Apple App Store: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/csc-go/id1552572916Google Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cscsw.cscgoAll of our machines can now be operated through the CSC Go mobile application. You can find the link to the application below. This new app also allows you to see how many machines are currently available in your assigned laundry room.Once you have used the App to determine that the number of washers you need are open by clicking the “Room” tab on the bottom of the screen, you should follow these steps:- Add funds into your wallet by navigating to the “Wallet” tab on the App and clicking “Add Funds.” Please note that you will not be able to use Pirate Bucks.- Place your clothes/items and detergent in the open machine.- On the CSC Go App, click the “Start” tab on the bottom of the screen and click the “Open Scanner” option in the middle. You will then scan the QR code on the machine using your phone camera, see. You can also use the Tap or license plate number entry features.- The App will always say that your settings are Light, Normal, and Cold.- Adjust the settings on the machine to your desired levels. Press the green “Start” button on the actual machine.- Once you do this, your phone screen, under the “Laundry” tab will show you how many minutes are left until your laundry cycle is completed.- If you elected to receive notifications from the CSC Go App, you will receive a notification
Pirate Preparedness Kit
- Face coverings
- Hand sanitizer - with an alcohol solution of at least 70% alcohol
- Disinfectant/Disinfectant Wipes - The most common EPA registered household disinfectants will work. Use disinfectants appropriate for the surface
- Hand soap
- First-Aid Kit
- Insurance Cards
- Prescribed medication
Linens and Laundry
- Linens (bed sizes are different for each hall, see your individual residence hall page to find the size)
- Laundry Basket/Bag
- Laundry Detergent/Dryer Sheets
- Alarm clock
- Computer and charger
- Study lamp
- Coffee pot
- Posters, decorations, etc.
- 3M Command Adhesive Strips (for hanging pictures/posters on walls in Ruter, Mabee, and Clark)
- Push pins (for hanging pictures/posters on walls in Brown-Cody)
- Microwave (coordinate with your roommate)
- Refrigerator (no larger than 4.3 cubic ft.) (coordinate with your roommate)
- Bath/Face Cleanser,
- Tweezers, Nail Clippers,
- Razor/Shaving Cream,
- Lotion/Facial Moisturizer,
- Hair Dryer
- Toilet bowl cleaner/brush
- pets (except fish in under 10 gallon tank)
- halogen lamps
- candles and incense
- hot plates
- air fryers
- refrigerator larger than 4.3 cubic ft.
- anything with open burner (hot plate, toaster, crock pot, portable grill, etc.)
- extra furniture that the university already provides (university owned
- furniture cannot be removed from room, this includes mattresses)
- wireless routers or wireless access points
Please see your individual residence hall page to see specifics on furniture provided by the University, room layouts, and dimensions.
There is an on-campus residency requirement at Southwestern for students who have had less than four full-time semesters in college. Incoming students must be at least 17 years of age at the time of initial occupancy to live in University housing.