Life at Southwestern

Complaint Form

In compliance with the United States Department of Education’s (DOE) Program Integrity Regulations, Southwestern University students should be aware of the following information regarding student complaints.

Southwestern University offers students the right to have complaints and disputes resolved through the procedures described under the “Academic Rights for Students,” (Student Handbook, p. 104 -, through administrative hearings, the University Committee on Discipline, the Honor Code Council Hearing Board and the Sexual Misconduct Hearing Board.  Students may also report anonymously through the Confidential Hotline at 1-866-943-5787 (Student Handbook, p. 64 -

Issues and complaints that cannot be addressed through the above procedures, or between the involved parties, should be addressed to the Dean of Students through the Student Complaint Form.  Students may file a formal complaint describing the treatment, action or decision at issue and the remedy sought.  To file a formal complaint, students should complete the form below and submit it electronically.  Students will receive an acknowledgement of their complaint within one business day from the Dean of Students.

While most student complaints can and should be resolved internally, and are required to be addressed internally first, if the complaint is not satisfactorily resolved on campus, students may then file a complaint with the appropriate regulatory agency in Texas and/or with Southwestern’s accrediting agency.  The appropriate regulatory agency in Texas to file a complaint is with the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (  The accrediting agency for Southwestern is the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, Commission on Colleges (

Student Complaint Form Procedures:

The Dean of Students will investigate student complaints.

- The complaining party will be given an opportunity to meet with the Dean of Students.

- The investigation may include contact with other parties involved.

- If appropriate, efforts may be taken to resolve a conflict by bringing parties together for discussion.

- Supervisors of employees may be contacted if complaints involve their areas.

- Complaints related to the Dean of Students Office should be referred directly to the Vice President for Student Life.

- Written decisions will be sent to all parties involved. Written appeals may be submitted to the Vice President for Student Life within five days of the original decision.

Fill out my online form.