Public buildings such as McCombs and Smith Library Center unlock at 7:30am and lock at 10pm Monday through Thursday and 6pm on Fridays. Buildings are generally locked on weekends. Depending on your status and responsibilities, you may be able to access buildings outside these hours or during holidays/events. For example, faculty and staff have 24/7 access to their office buildings along with limited access to Mood, Prothro, the Library, and the front doors of the Robertson Center.
Despite our best efforts, Southwestern is regularly targeted by email-based phishing attempts intended to compromise our students, faculty, and staff. The majority of phishing emails can be recognized by their subject, contents, or email address. However, sometimes a phishing email is crafted well enough that we fall for it and once that happens it tends to spread like wildfire.
Tips to avoid phishing attacks:
- If you fall for phishing, report it to the Infodesk ASAP
- If an email looks suspicious, please forward it to the Infodesk
- Phishing emails can ‘spoof’ their names to look like real Southwestern members
- Phishing emails will often request that you visit external links, provide your username/password, or connect your Google account to a malicious service
- If in doubt, check the “from” address of the email
- Even @southwestern.edu users can be compromised
Southwestern’s devices come with Sophos Enterprise Antivirus installed. However, If you don’t have antivirus software, IT recommends installing antivirus software to protect yourself from malware such as viruses, spyware, worms, and rootkits. Sophos Antivirus offers a free Home version you can download below.