Computing and Software
Your Southwestern account provides you access to online services, computer labs, email, and more.
- Student accounts are created by IT at the direction of Admissions or the Center for Academic Success
- Faculty/staff accounts are created by IT at the direction of HR
Google applications are accessible to all Southwestern students, faculty, and staff.
Google applications run best on Chrome. Other browsers are fine but may have quirks with Google applications.
All Google applications should work on your mobile devices.
Calendar can be used to plan events, schedule appointments, and as a daily planner with alerts.
Drive can be used to work individually or collaboratively on documents, spreadsheets, presentations, drawings, and more. Drive Stream can be used to backup and remotely access files on all of your devices. Southwestern members have unlimited Drive storage.
Groups enable Southwestern communities to communicate with each other via email.
Sites enable users to quickly and easily build websites that display content, host files, share announcements, and more.
Questions, problems, concerns?
MySouthwestern is the campus portal to conveniently access resources such as gmail, Moodle, WebAdvisor, and Campus Notices. Additionally you can search the portal directory for Southwestern community members.
Moodle is the main way in which students engage with their classes including viewing syllabi, submitting assignments, and completing quizzes/tests. Moodle provides great learning, teaching, and research experiences that are available to any student, faculty, or staff member.
Questions, problems, concerns?
Contact our Moodle administrator, Melanie Hoag firstname.lastname@example.org
Self-Service and Web Advisor provide students, faculty, and staff useful tools for completing administrative, academic, and financial tasks.
- Register for classes
- View class schedules
- View course grades and GPA
- View major progress
- View unofficial transcripts
- Submit work-study time sheets
- View billing statements
- View class rosters
- View and edit student grades
- View advisees and their information
- View tax information
- View vacation and sick leave balances
- Access current & past earning statements
- Submit time sheets
Southwestern employees that have issues with their laptops, desktops or printers should contact the Infodesk.
Please note that IT will not support or repair personal hardware or software. The Infodesk may be able to assist students resolve some issues with their personal devices.
Recommended Windows Repair Shops
1011 Leander Road #102, Georgetown, TX 78626 (2 miles)
A1 Smartphone Repair
4124 Williams Drive, Georgetown, TX 78628 (5 miles)
WilCo PC Repair
113 Steven St, Hutto, TX 78634 (13 miles)
Campus Pickup Service Available
Recommended Apple Repair Shops
Longhorn Mac Repair
1013 W University Ave #165, Georgetown, TX 78628 (3 miles)
10921 East Crystal Falls Parkway, Leander, TX 78641 (12 miles)
Apple Store - The Domain
11410 Century Oaks Terrace, Austin, TX 78758 (20 miles)
611 South Congress Ave #508, Austin, TX 78704 (30 miles)
After graduating or departing from Southwestern you’ll permanently lose all of your email, drive files, calendars, hangouts, etc. Please preserve your data by following all three sections of this guide.
- Section 1 describes how to forward your Gmail
- Section 2 describes how to transfer your Southwestern Gmail/Drive data to your personal Google account
- Section 3 describes how to archive all of your Google Apps data
Section 1: Forwarding Your Gmail
Forward newly received emails from your Southwestern gmail to your personal gmail.
- On your computer, log into your Southwestern gmail
- In the top right, click then “Settings”
- Click the “Forwarding and POP/IMAP” tab
- In the “Forwarding” section, click “Add a Forwarding Address”
- Enter your personal email address
- Click “Next” then “Proceed” and “OK”
- A verification message will be sent to your personal gmail address. Open the verification link in that message.
- Go back to your Southwestern gmail’s settings page and refresh your browser
- Select “Forward a Copy of Incoming Mail To and keep Southwestern University Mail’s copy in the Inbox”
- At the bottom of the page, click Save Changes
Section 2: Transferring Your Gmail/Drive
Transfer your Southwestern Gmail/Drive to your personal Google account using Google Transfer.
- Google Transfer won’t delete your emails/files in your Southwestern google account
- New emails/files won’t be transferred without repeating the Google Transfer process
- On your computer, go to Google Transfer
- Under “Enter a Destination Account” enter your personal gmail address and press SEND CODE
- Log in to your personal gmail and open the “Verify Your Account” email
- Press “Get confirmation code” and copy the code
- Return to Google Transfer, enter the confirmation code, and press “Verify”
- Confirm your settings and press “START TRANSFER”
- Check your transfer status
- In Gmail, your email address and the transfer time are added as labels to all transferred emails
- In Drive, your email address and the transfer time are used as the name for the folder where transferred files are archived
- You’ll receive an email when the transfer is completed (takes one hour up to a week, typically an hour or two)
Section 3: Archiving Your Google Apps Data
Takeout can be used to archive all of your Google data including Calendar, Contacts, Hangouts, Keep, Youtube and more.
- On your computer, go to Google Takeout
- Scroll to the bottom and press “Next”
- Set “Archive Size (max)” to 50gb.
- Note that if you select “Send Download link via Email” Google will delete your archive after seven (7) days
- Select the “Delivery Method” you prefer
- Press “Create archive”
- You’ll receive an email when the archive is completed (can take as little as one hour or as long as several days)
- Check the progress of your takeout
- Once Takeout has completed, you should download a copy of your archive
- Locate the downloaded archive, right click it, and click “Extract”
Optionally you can import a calendar into your personal google account.
- On your computer open Google Calendar
- In the top right, click then “Settings”
- Select the “Calendars” tab
- Click “Import Calendar” next to “Create New Calendar”
- Click “Choose File”, locate your archive, and select a calendar to import
- Select a calendar to own imported events and click “Import”
Optionally you can import Contacts into your personal google account.
- Go to your Google Contacts
- If required, log into your personal gmail
- At the top of the page, click “More” and then “Import”…
- Click “Choose File”, go to your takeouts archive, then contacts, and select “All Contacts.vcf”
- Click Import
The Southwestern University community can access discounted and free software.
Purchase discounted software on Varsity Buys including Windows, Adobe Cloud, Office and more.
You can get Office 365 for education at no cost with your SU email.
Free Software Alternatives
Paid Software Free Software Office Google Drive, Libre Office Photoshop Gimp Illustrator Inkscape InDesign Scribus Soundbooth Audacity DreamWeaver WaveMaker IE, Safari Firefox Windows Media Player, Quicktime VLC
Computer labs are accessible to students, staff, and faculty. They all have an easily accessible printer and most can be reserved for classes, lectures, meetings, etc. We have both Windows and Mac labs and different labs offer different software packages.
Room Name Printer Windows Mac ChromeOS Reservable SLC 105 Research Commons X X X X SLC 143 Sandbox X X X SLC 202 GIS Lab X X X MBH 115 PC Lab X X X
CS Lab X MBH 306 DEWC X X FWO 113 PC Lab X X X FWO 208 Mac Lab X X X
Room Name Microsoft Office Adobe Creative Cloud ArcGIS Wolfram Mathematica IBM SPSS Statistics Eclipse Microsoft Visual Studio SLC 105 Research Commons X X X X X SLC 143 Sandbox X X X X X SLC 202 GIS Lab X X X X X X X MBH 115 PC Lab X X X X X X
CS Lab X X X MBH 306 DEWC X X FWO 113 PC Lab X X X X X X FWO 208 Mac Lab X X X X X
For more comprehensive information check our lab & classroom inventory