Southwestern Faculty, Students, and Staff may borrow a variety of items from library collections.
Patron type # of Items Allowed Loan Period Renewals Faculty unlimited (due at end of Spring Semester) Faculty (part time) unlimited (due at end of current semester) Student unlimited 3 weeks 2 Staff unlimited 3 weeks 2 Alumni 15 3 weeks 1 TexShare Members 10 3 weeks 7 days Public (requires application and fee) 10 3 weeks 1
Laptops and Audiovisual materials (Southwestern community only)
Videos, checkout laptops, and all other audiovisual materials check out for 7 days.
Desk Reserve and Media Library materials (Southwestern community only)
7, 3, or 1 day loan; 2 hour in-library use; 4 hour in-library use Overnight use permitted for some 2-and 4-hour desk reserves. Items checked out overnight before library closing must be returned within one hour of opening the following morning.
You can renew most items online via your WorldCat Local’s MyLibrary Account link. Please note: audiovisual equipment and reserve items cannot be renewed online.
If the item you want is currently checked out, place a Hold online at the item record in WorldCat Local, or make your request at the InfoDesk.
If an item you need is not due back until the end of the academic year please check with staff at InfoDesk. We will try to get the item returned for you.
Titles that are needed immediately for Reserve or for other designated reasons may be recalled. Place a recall request directly with InfoDesk staff. Once an item is recalled, the original borrower is notified, and the due date on the recall notice replaces the original due date. The fine for overdue recalled items is $1 per day.
Fine rates are assessed per item.
It is the responsibility of the borrower to know when your items are due. The library is not responsible for notifying borrowers that items are overdue, although notices are sent as a courtesy.
- 2 Hour, 4 Hour and Overnight Reserve items 50¢ an hour, or fraction of an hour.
- 1 Day or 3 Day items $1 per day
- 7 Day items 50¢ per day
- Recalled items $1 per day
- All other items 25¢ per day
- AV Equipment $10 - $25 per day
The maximum fine for overdue reserve items is $20 per item. The maximum fine for other items is $15 each.
Only print books are may be borrowed by TexShare card holders.
E-books, CDs, DVDs, or audiobooks do not circulate via TexShare. Borrowing period is 3 weeks with one 7-day renewal.
Getting TexShare borrowing privileges at Southwestern
- SU TexShare cards are only issued between 8 - 12 and 1 - 5 p.m. Monday through Friday, when a supervisor is on duty.
- Depending on staffing, you may also be able to receive a card between 6-9 PM Sunday - Thursday.
- We highly recommend phoning ahead 512-863-1563 to verify availability of staff to process your application. Student workers are not authorized to issue cards. No exceptions.
- Applications for a cards made on the weekend will be processed as soon as possible within the next 48 hours. We will notify you when your card is ready.
What you need to bring with you:
- A current valid photo I.D. verifying your age is 18 or older.
- A current borrower’s card from your home library.
- Your current TexShare card from your home library with your application. Please check the expiration date before you arrive.
Borrowers not eligible for the Texshare program through their home library may apply for a town card with a fee of $25.00.
Information for SU students, faculty and staff
- You must present your SU I.D. at the InfoDesk when requesting a TexShare Card.
- Student TexShare cards are issued any hours the InfoDesk is staffed.
- SU faculty and staff TexShare cards are only issued between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday when a supervisor is on duty. Student assistants are not authorized to issue cards to faculty or staff.
- Before you head off to another library with your TexShare card, be sure to review their lending policy for hours of availability, etc. at https://www.tsl.state.tx.us/texshare/libsearch/index.php.
Please request assistance at the InfoDesk if the title you want is missing from the shelf. We will search for the missing book and notify you when it has been found.
Lost or Damaged Items
Borrowers are responsible for library materials checked out to them until they are returned to the InfoDesk. Charges for lost items include the maximum overdue fine, a $5 processing fee, plus the replacement cost of the item. If the replacement cost cannot be determined, a default replacement cost of $35 is assessed.
Charges for damaged materials are assessed per the condition of each item. Depending on the extent of the damage, charges can range from a minimum $5 repair fee to the replacement cost for the item.
Failure to pay fines and/or fees can result in holds being placed on your WebAdvisor account and prevent students from registering for classes.