Study Rooms and Spaces
Smith Library Center has many study rooms and quiet spots for students.
Noisy, high-traffic spaces:
- Research Commons
- Coffee Bar
- Melville Alcove
- Writers Voice Alcove
- Periodicals Reading Room
- Sandbox Media Lab
- The Courtyard
- Carrels around the compact shelving on the south side of the building.
Noisy high-traffic spaces:
- Computer lab (SLC 202/204)
- Curriculum Room (SLC 206)
- Any study room (groups of 2+ students have priority)
- The DVD viewing room (SLC 224)
- Carrels around the periphery of the floor
- Chairs and tables outside of entrance to Special Collections
- Prothro Room (no tables, but you’re welcome to study in here if it’s not in use)
- During Finals Week, the Special Collections reading room is often opened for absolute quiet study. No cell phones, food, talking, or noise is allowed.
Noisy, high-traffic areas:
- This floor tends to be mostly quiet.
- Study rooms (priority is given to 2+ students)
- Study carrels and armchairs around the periphery of the floor
- Any of the three alcoves
If someone is causing a major disturbance, please contact the InfoDesk for assistance.