Connecting with Others
Faculty and staff can be searched for in the website directory. You can search by first name, last name, username, department, and title.
Faculty, staff, and students can be searched for in the Internal Directory. You can search by first name, last name, username, department, and title.
Google Groups make it convenient for the Southwestern community to communicate with each other via email. Google Groups are most similar to mailing lists / listservs, but Google Groups can also be used as online forums.
Benefits of Google Groups
- Easy email communication
- Records of all communication
- Distributed administration of the group
- Google Drive folders/files can be shared with the group
Requesting a New Group
All faculty, staff, and students are welcome to request a Google Group be created for their club, group, organization, etc. However, students must have a faculty/staff member sponsor their group and make the request on their behalf. Official student organizations may use their faculty/staff advisor as their Google Group sponsor.
Questions, problems, concerns?
Tips & Tricks
Southwestern students, faculty, and staff can host a custom website locally on our Helios server. This is an advanced feature that requires technical expertise to use. Please consider using Google Sites as an easier and more approachable solution.
- Open your home directory in Helios
- Navigate to public_html
- Create a file named index.html
- Edit away!
- View at people.southwestern.edu/~USERNAME
Tips & Tricks
- Your web browser’s inspector helps debug issues and will be your best friend
- An HTML editor like Sublime Text, ATOM, TextWrangler, or Notepad++ can help quite a bit
- A web builder like Dreamweaver, WaveMaker, or Kompozer is nice too
- You can use PHP too
Campus Notices is a virtual bulletin board useful for spreading news, advertising programs/events, and sharing opportunities. Campus Notices can be used by faculty, staff, and students as well as clubs, organizations, and departments. Campus Notices is sent via email every weekday at 8am.
If you’d like to post a notice, you can log in using your Southwestern username/password and selecting ‘Submit Notice’ in the right sidebar.