Flextime Schedules (staff)
The University recognizes that employees may have personal preferences or obligations outside of the work place which may affect their ability to work within the University’s Official Hours of Operation, therefore the University will support, where practicable for employees and the University, Flextime Schedules as described in the Flextime Schedules Policy and Guidelines. It is important to note that certain departments may not be able to offer such Flextime Schedules and that nothing contained within this policy guarantees employees the opportunity to work under a Flextime Schedule.
It is the policy of Southwestern University to establish the time and duration of working hours as required by:
- work load;
- customer service needs;
- management of human resources;
- compliance with applicable laws; and
- Hours of Work and Work Schedules section of the Employment Policies and Procedures found within the Staff Handbook.
- Official Work Week: From 12:01 a.m. Sunday through midnight the following Saturday.
- Normal Work Day: Eight (8) hours with one (1) additional hour meal break.
- Normal Work Week: Forty (40) hours worked within the Official Work Week, usually five eight-hour days.
- Official Hours of Operation: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday (for Administrative Offices).
- Exempt Employee: Employees who are normally paid a monthly salary and are not eligible for overtime pay.
- Non-Exempt Employee: Employees who are normally paid on an hourly basis and are eligible for overtime pay.
- Flextime (Fixed): Generally describes a work scheduling arrangement where the employer allows employees to alter their starting and finishing work times, yet maintains consistent departmental coverage within a certain “core band” of hours within the Normal Work Day and Normal Work Week.
- Flextime (Compressed Work Week): Generally describes a work scheduling arrangement where the employer allows employees to alter their work days and hours worked per work day to fulfill a Normal Work Week (40 hours) which results in fewer than five eight-hour work days, yet maintains consistent departmental coverage within a certain “core band” of hours within the Normal Work Day and Normal Work Week.
- Southwestern University’s “Core Band” of hours: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday (for Administrative Offices).
This policy applies to benefit-eligible, non-exempt employees. Non-exempt employees must complete the appropriate application form and receive the necessary approval from their supervisor prior to beginning a Flextime Schedule.
Note: Exempt employees may discuss this Flextime Schedules Policy, as it may apply to their position, with their immediate supervisor. Exempt employees must recognize that, in accordance with the Employment Categories Section of the Staff Handbook, they are expected to work whatever time is necessary to meet defined job responsibilities.
- Non-exempt employees wishing to request a Flextime Schedule (fixed or compressed work week) must submit a completed Request for Flextime Schedule Form to their immediate supervisor.
- The supervisor will review the request, discuss it with the department head (if applicable), make a determination, and inform the employee.
- Similar to the assignment of job duties and responsibilities, Flextime Schedules may be changed for employees at the sole discretion of the University as the course of business may require at any time and with or without input from the employee. For example, it may be necessary for an employee to work an alternative schedule or additional hours for a period of time as may be required by heightened departmental work load (i.e. work associated with Priority One events).
- Similar to the assignment of job duties and responsibilities, determinations regarding Flextime Schedule requests may not be grieved by employees under the University’s Grievance Procedure.
- Non-exempt employees participating in a Flextime Schedule must reflect the actual number of hours worked on each day worked as described in the Timekeeping Section of the Staff Handbook.
- As described in the Holidays Section of the Staff Handbook, the University recognizes fifteen (15) holidays per year for benefit-eligible employees, based on an 8-hour work day. Flextime Schedules may require employees and supervisors to select alternative holiday days in accordance with the Holidays Section of the Staff Handbook, and/or, in the case of Compressed Work Week schedules, making-up time in excess of the 8-hour holiday day (i.e. working 2 additional hours during the holiday week if the Compressed Work Week schedule has 10-hour work days) or utilizing vacation accrual.
- It is contemplated that non-exempt employees will submit no more than two (2) Request for Flextime Schedule forms per year. Additional requests will be considered by the supervisor on a case-by-case basis.
- Non-exempt employees wishing to change or cancel a Flextime Schedule should complete a Request for Flextime Schedule form indicating “Change Current Flextime Schedule” or “Cancel Current Flextime Schedule” and submit it to their immediate supervisor for review and approval.
This policy will become a part of the Staff Handbook and the provisions described under “About the Handbook” shall apply.
This policy is subject to periodic review by the Senior Staff.
APPROVED BY THE SENIOR STAFF ON APRIL 18, 2005