Spring Faculty Workshop 2017: Paideia Pedagogies in Practice
Friday, May 12, 12:30 pm - 5:00 pm in the Howry Center and Olin Building
The program will begin with lunch and conversation, followed by sessions focused on pedagogies emphasized in the new Paideia. This interactive workshop is designed to showcase thoughtful and effective teaching practices developed by Southwestern faculty, to spark ideas for new approaches, and to engage faculty from multiple fields in reflection about our goals and approaches.
- Understanding High-Impact Practices: What They Are, Why They Matter, and How We Craft Them (Drs. Erika Berroth, Sarah Brackmann, and Julie Sievers)
- Connection-Making Strategies, Assignments, and Activities (featuring the courses of SU faculty)
- Incorporating or Deepening Social Justice Teaching in a Course (Drs. Melissa Byrnes and Melissa Johnson)
Schedule and session details are available on the program schedule.
Fall Faculty Conference 2016
Monday, August 15 in F. W. Olin Building
This year’s Fall Faculty Conference will be in a conference format. Sessions will be fifty minutes long. Faculty will attend three sessions from a selection of six.
- Supporting the Success of All Students (Dr. David Laude, The University of Texas at Austin)
- An Introduction to Mindfulness (Dr. Kylin Lee, Southwestern University) - Resources
- Giving Students Voice and Agency in Our Courses (Dr. Wendy Ostroff, Sonoma State University) - Resourses
- Pedagogies for Helping Students Make Connections (Dr. Elizabeth Barre, Rice University) - Resources
- Teaching Social Justice: Where We Are, Where We Can Go (Dr. Alexandra Barron, St. Edward’s University) - Resources
- Making Time for Writing and Research (Dr. Julie Sievers, Southwestern University) - Resources
- View the program, with full session descriptions, here.