The religious purpose of the Lois Perkins Chapel and the nature and mission of the University are to be maintained and the wedding party shall conduct the event in a manner that is consistent with the University contract and Guidelines.
- Clergy: It is the wedding party’s responsibility to find and secure clergy, discuss specifics related to the wedding and compensate him/her for services. In order to perform a wedding ceremony in the Lois Perkins Chapel, a clergy person must be ordained or recognized by his/her religious body as a person authorized to perform such weddings. Non-clergy, such as judges and others permitted by the laws of the State of Texas to perform weddings, may do so subject to the approval of the University in its sole discretion. However, ordinations obtained over the Internet or other non-traditional means are not accepted. The wedding party is required to obtain a marriage license issued by the State of Texas. When scheduling an officiant for your wedding, please confirm that the officiant can attend both the rehearsal and the wedding.
- If a wedding couple wishes to include Eucharist as a part of their ceremony, they must make all arrangements for elements and serving pieces with their minister. Southwestern University does not provide elements and serving pieces.
- Flash photography is prohibited during weddings, memorial and other worship services. Check with the clergy performing the service about his/her policies about other photography during the ceremony.
- Audio services included in the facility fee include wired microphones at the lectern and pulpit, a lapel microphone for the person conducting the ceremony and an audio specialist to monitor the equipment during the rehearsal and wedding.
- Normal custodial fees are included in the Facility Fee. If additional custodial fees are needed they will be billed at $25 per hour.
- The wedding party is responsible for clean-up of the Chapel, Chapel Lounge, groom’s dressing area and any other facility used at the conclusion of the event.
- The consumption, possession, or distribution of alcoholic beverages or any controlled substance is not permitted.
- Eating, drinking, smoking or the use of other tobacco products is prohibited in the Chapel.
- Smoking or the use of other tobacco products is prohibited in all university buildings and the Chapel Courtyard.
- Southwestern University prohibits the carrying of guns or weapons on the University campus as defined by Texas State law.
- The wedding party which includes family members, agents, employees, patrons, guests, invitees and vendors must adhere to the roads and parking areas of the University campus. No vehicles are allowed on the walkway in front of the Chapel. The wedding party is responsible for their actions as well as the actions of their representatives and vendors. The person who signs the contract must inform vendors of the rules and regulations for Chapel use by providing them copies of the the wedding guidelines.
- It is expected that all vendors make deliveries during the hours noted on the contract.
- Decorations must retain the Chapel’s beauty and character as a place of worship. Decorations must be kept to a minimum and in good taste.
- At no time may any religious symbols, which include the altar candles and cloths, the processional cross, the lectern, or pulpit hangings, be removed, relocated or modified. The altar cloths (paraments) will be white for wedding ceremonies. Because the altar is a central focus of the Chapel, the area including the steps from the nave, past the choir stalls and extending to the altar is to be kept clear, so that visibility of and access to the altar is unimpeded. User shall not place furniture or furnishings, including candelabra and floral arrangements in this area. Flowers may NOT be placed on the altar table.
- Floral arrangements and candelabras may be placed in the chancel area (e.g., on either side of and behind the altar and beside the lectern and pulpit).
- Only dripless candles can be used with plastic sheets beneath the candelabra or candleholders. Candles may not be placed on the ends of pews or in the window sills. Candles may not be placed outside the chancel area.
- Wedding party shall not move any fixed furniture.
- No structural modifications can be made to the Chapel.
- Wrapped wire should be used to attach greenery and ribbons. Wedding party shall not use nails, tacks or tape.
- Throwing rice is prohibited. Birdseed may be thrown outside the Chapel only.
- Chalking is not allowed on the exterior of the Chapel, Chapel Lounge, Chapel garden, Chapel entry ways, Chapel steps or the area around the seal or on the seal.
- Silk flower petals may be used, but not real flower petals.
- Horses and carriages are not allowed on University grounds.
- No animals except service animals are allowed in the Chapel and Chapel Lounge.
- The wedding party is responsible for any damage to University facilities, or its furnishings, as set forth in Paragraph II and Paragraph V of the contract.
- The Reservation Deposit and Damage Deposit are due at the time of the reservation which can be no more than l year prior to first occupancy of the Facility by the User. Use of the facility is not confirmed until payment and signed contract have been received by the Office of University Events.
- If necessary, one postponement will be honored with the original Reservation Deposit if notification is provided in writing at least six (6) months prior to the original wedding date, and if you reschedule at that time for a date within one year of the original wedding date. Once final payment of the Facility Fee balance is made, it is non-refundable.
- Additional hours for using the Chapel may be purchased six months prior to the wedding if no other booking has taken place. The cost of additional hours is $100 per hour and will be billed separately. Payment must be made immediately upon approval of extended hours. Request for additional hours must be made in writing or through an email and approved by the Office of University Events.
- A room for changing clothes will be provided for the groom and groomsmen.
Wedding parties have the option of a 5:00 - 6:30 p.m. or 6:30 - 8:00 p.m. wedding rehearsal the day before.
Lois Perkins Chapel Facility Usage Policy