Andrews Endowed Fellowship supports graduate study in memory of James Robert Andrews ’04.
Are you a graduating senior or recent grad (within two years of graduation) entering graduate school in Fall 2022? If so, please apply for this opportunity to earn $2,500 toward the cost of the first year of graduate/professional school study. The application deadline is March 20, 2022.
The James Robert Andrews Endowed Fellowship was established by the family and friends of James Robert Andrews ’04 in memory of his strength, courage, determination, and intellectual curiosity.
Jim Bob was a Political Science major and Communication minor. He was also a member of Phi Delta Theta Fraternity. During his undergraduate years, he worked as an intern on the House Ways and Means Committee in Washington, D.C., and at the CBI on Parliamentary Affairs in London. Prior to starting law school at Tulane University in the fall of 2005, Jim Bob spent a year in Karamay, Xinjiang, Peoples Republic of China, where he taught conversational English to Chinese students. After safely evacuating from New Orleans following Hurricane Katrina, he was in a diving accident that resulted in a spinal cord injury. Jim Bob was making tremendous strides in rehabilitation when he died suddenly due to medical complications.
This fellowship, intended for the first year of post-graduate study only, is designed to assist other Southwestern University graduates in their quest to earn a graduate degree. The $2,500 fellowship may be used to fund a portion of educational costs including tuition, fees, living expenses, books, and other required fees. Proof of enrollment in a graduate or professional program must be received by the James Robert Andrews Endowed Fellowship Committee before funds will be released.
Preference will be given to applicants who are able to provide evidence of a well-rounded education. This might include experiences through internships, research with faculty, and/or study abroad programs.
To apply by the deadline of March 20, 2022, 11:59 p.m., submit:
- Online application form
- Resume or CV, including information about study abroad experiences, internship experiences, collaborative research/creative works experiences, and participation in student organizations and honor societies. Send via email to Alexandra Anderson at email@example.com. (See resume resources here.)
- Letters of recommendation - Two confidential letters, at least one of which must be from a Southwestern University faculty member, should be sent directly by the recommenders to Alexandra Anderson via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. These letters should not only speak to your academic promise but should also address to what extent your post-graduation plans will make a positive impact on the world.
- Official transcript from Southwestern University (request your transcript online at http://www.southwestern.edu/academics/registrar/forms/index.php and have it emailed to Alexandra Anderson at email@example.com. )
Optional application materials:
- While not required as part of the application, you may submit via email to Alexandra Anderson (firstname.lastname@example.org) up to 5 additional pages of content you believe will help the selection committee in its decision-making process. Examples could include writing samples, images, artifacts exemplifying your relevant work, etc. These additional materials are optional. If you choose to submit them, they are also due by Sunday, March 20, deadline.
- If you have received notification of graduate school acceptance, please include it with your application materials. If not, the selected applicant must submit proof of acceptance before release of funds for Fall 2022.
A committee composed of faculty, alumni, staff, and family or friends of James Robert Andrews will review applications. The selected recipient will be notified no later than April 30, 2022.
Questions may be directed to Alexandra Anderson, fellowship advisor and Senior Associate Director of the Center for Career & Professional Development at email@example.com and 512.863.1265.