Supply and Demand
Teaching is a career in which you can be confident you will always have a purpose. Southwestern University has consistently experienced a high rate of candidate employment. However, TEA requires SU to inform candidates that in districts along the I-35 corridor in Texas, it may be more difficult to secure a teaching position due to the number of teacher preparation programs providing candidates within those educational markers.
- Average Elementary School Teacher Salary: $52,810
- Average Secondary School Teacher Salary: $53,640
- Student/Teacher Ratio: 15.40
Teacher salaries are provided by the US Bureau of Labor Statistics’ May 2015 Occupational Employment Statistics External link report.
Texas Teacher Shortage Areas
A teacher shortage area is defined by the U.S. Department of Education External link as “an area of specific grade, subject matter or discipline classification, or a geographic area in which…there is an inadequate supply of elementary or secondary school teachers.”
Teacher Shortage Areas and Loan Forgiveness Programs
Statewide Shortages by Academic Disciplines of Subject Matter
- Career and Technical Education
- Computer Science/Technology Applications
- Special Education (Birth-Age 5)
- Speech Pathology (K-Grade 12)
- Visually Impaired