Teacher Certification

Admission to Teacher Certification

Admission to the University does not guarantee admission to the Teacher Certification Program. The Southwestern University Certification Program adheres to rules and regulations established by the state of Texas and the Texas State Board of Education. The current requirements for admission are as follows: 

2023-2024 Academic year- Applications due end of Spring Semester 2024 

  • A grade point average of 2.75 or above on a minimum of 60 semester hours of work completed.
  • A grade of at least “C-” in an English composition course.
  • Satisfactory scores on the Texas Higher Education Assessment (THEA) tests or approved exemption.
  • Proof of professional insurance for seniors in the field-based program and student teaching through membership in a statewide teacher organization.
  • At least 12 credit hours in their content of upper-level courses. 

If an applicant is denied admission to the Teacher Certification Program, he or she may appeal. This appeal process is initiated by contacting the Chair of the Education Department.

Applications are due at the Spring Semester of your Sophomore year.


The Southwestern University Education Department welcomes the opportunity to provide post-secondary education opportunities to the nations’ veterans. The university partners with the Veterans Administration to facilitate the administration of their available benefits to support veterans and veteran dependents who wish to attend as full-time students.

To welcome veterans, and facilitate their entrance into higher education, the Education Department Chair and the Certification Officer, along with other Southwestern University staff, serve as student veteran supports for veterans seeking degrees or minors in Education.

Southwestern University Veteran Contacts

Alicia Moore: Associate Professor of Education
Jami Locklear: Education Department Teacher Preparation Certification Officer
Nadia Mahannah: Associate Registrar & VA School Certifying Official
Amanda Anthony: Assistant Director of Financial Aid
Scott Sandoval: Director of Transfer Recruitment/Admission
Jennifer Smull: Associate Director of Academic Success/Disability Services

To begin the process of seeking teacher certification, the office of the Registrar is responsible for completing the initial review of admissions and external academic credit. The registrar awards veterans with one upper-level FRA (fitness and recreational activity) credit and one lower-level FRA credit. External credits, form other institutions of higher education may be reviewed by the Education Department to determine whether additional courses meet criteria for acceptance.

Admission: Transfer Students

As a transfer student at Southwestern, veterans have the unique opportunity to join ranks with university faculty and further their education in an environment that places a high value on exploration, innovation, and experiences. Their unique perspective and ideas are valued during class discussions, collaborative research, or other projects.

Registrar: Policies for Acceptance of External Academic Credit

Most courses used to obtain a degree from Southwestern University must be taken from Southwestern University, in accordance with the list of Graduation Requirements (listed in the Catalog). However, Southwestern does give credit for certain types of externally earned credit. Under certain constraints, Southwestern will award credit for transfer courses transcripted by another college or university, for Advanced Placement (AP) and International Baccalaureate (IB) test scores, and certain subject exams.

One credit of Fitness and Recreational Activities (FRA) credit may be awarded to participants in SU’s intercollegiate athletic program and two credits of FRA may be awarded to military veterans. Southwestern does not offer academic credit for experiential learning or based on professional certificates. More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill. Additional information related to the external transfer credits may be found on the Southwestern University Veteran webpage.

Transfer Students

If you are interested in majoring in Education, we have two degrees that available. Our Bachelor of Science in Education (BSEd) degree, prepares you to be a certified classroom teacher. Our Bachelor of Arts degree prepares you to work with children in non-traditional settings. Speaking with an Education faculty member would be a great way to obtain more information.

Our Education faculty members are knowledgeable about all of the opportunities a degree in education offers. They are here to guide you throughout your undergraduate tenure as you reach your career goals.

  • Due to the restrictions around in-person meetings due to COVID-19, all Education faculty members in the Department of Education are working remotely. To schedule an appointment, please moorea@southwestern.edu.
  • If you have already transferred to Southwestern University, Welcome! If need to register for courses, please work with your assigned academic advisor for details about accessing WebAdvisor.

Education Faculty & Academic Advisors Can Help You

  • choose the right major and/or minor,
  • answer any questions you may have about BSEd or BA courses you need to take,
  • review degree plans that provide insights into courses to be taken
  • add, drop, and register for classes,
  • make decisions about your career path, in Education

Acceptance of Prior Coursework

Our institution has policies and procedures that ensure sufficient consistency in the acceptance of prior coursework. If you are transferring to Southwestern University from another college or university, you should visit the transfer admission webpage. If you are transferring from another institution in Texas, you can find out how your credits will transfer by contacting the Office of the Registrar. If you are transferring from a Texas community college, please visit the Pre-Approved Community College Transfer Credit List (general education courses). If you are transferring from an out-of-state or an international institution, the Office of the Registrar will review your credits upon admission to the university.

Additional Information

Pre-Approved Tables of Credit