Admission to Teacher Certification
Admission to the University does not guarantee admission to the Teacher Certification Program. The Southwestern University Certification Program adheres to rules and regulations established by the state of Texas and the Texas State Board of Education. The current requirements for admission are as follows:
- A grade point average of 2.75 or above on a minimum of 60 semester hours of work completed.
- A grade of at least “C-” in an English composition course.
- Satisfactory scores on the Texas Higher Education Assessment (THEA) tests or approved exemption.
- Proof of professional insurance for seniors in the field-based program and student teaching through membership in a statewide teacher organization.
- At least 12 credit hours in their content of upper-level courses.
If an applicant is denied admission to the Teacher Certification Program, he or she may appeal. This appeal process is initiated by contacting the Chair of the Education Department.