Office of Diversity Education
The Office of Diversity Education works to promote diversity, inclusion, equity, peace building and social justice initiatives on campus. The ODE also provides resources and supports the continued development of a positive campus climate.
The Office of Diversity Education Offers:
- Support for historically underrepresented students in higher education.
- Advising for cultural and identity based student organizations.
- Workshops on diversity and social justice topics for the Southwestern University community.
- Events and programs to promote awareness about diversity and social justice.
- Resources through the Cross Cultural Center including a resource library, study groups, safe and brave spaces, healing spaces and a place to relax and study.
- Networking and outreach opportunities for faculty, staff and students.
- Diversity Enrichment Committee Funding for programs and events.
- Diversity Trainings and Workshops
- Lavender Spaces Training
- Brave Spaces Training
- Difficult Dialogues Circles
- Retention Initiatives for Students
- Leadership Development for Students
- Interactive Workshops
- Community Engagement Projects
- Zine Workshops
- Storytelling for Social Justice Workshops
- Peace Building Workshops
- Spring Breakaway Program sponsored by the Offices of Community Engaged Learning, Diversity Education and Spiritual and Religious Life
The Office of Diversity Education offers a variety of social justice and diversity workshops including the following: Welcoming Workshop, Stereotypes Workshop, Trigger Words Workshop, Diversity Circles and Leadership Diversity Workshops. The ODE will create workshops tailored to your specific needs and interests. To request a workshop, please contact Terri Johnson, Assistant Dean for Student Multicultural Affairs at email@example.com or at 512- 863-1342.
The Coalition for Diversity and Social Justice sponsors an Annual Diversity Training Retreat for students in the fall and a mini retreat in the spring.
The Assistant Dean serves as an advisor and provides support and resources for the Coalition for Diversity and Social Justice which includes ten cultural, identity, and social justice based groups within the coalition: Pirates for Pride, EBONY, Kappa Delta Chi, Hispanics and Latinx Organization, SU NATIVE, Asian Student Association, Reproductive Justice Alliance, Students for Environmental Activism and Knowledge,Food Justice Association, Muslims and Allies and Jolt. (Each organization within the Coalition also has an advisor). All students and organizations are welcome to be a part of the Coalition if they are interested in working on diversity, inclusion and social justices causes.
The Cross Cultural Center is located in Office 234 in the Prothro Center for Lifelong Learning.
Terri Johnson, Assistant Dean for Student Multicultural Affairs office is located in the Julie Puett Howry Center on Southwestern Blvd.
“The ODE has such wonderful programs! Lavender Spaces and LavGrad were what made me choose SU.”
-Patrick Garza, ’16