The Southwestern University Alumni Association has no boundaries in the digital age. Below are a variety of ways that you can engage with your alma mater from the comforts of your home - wherever that may be.
“Attend” a Virtual Event
The University offers events that require no in-person attendance. Check out the schedule of activities:
- Tuesday, September 29, at 6:00 p.m. (CDT) - Beer 101: Virtual Brewery Tour and Fall Favorites
- Thursday, October 1, at 5:00 p.m. CDT – Book Club: Oona Out of Order (Session 1)
- Wednesday, October 7, at 7:00 p.m. CDT - Navigating Breast Cancer in the Workplace
- Thursday, October 8, at 5:00 p.m. CDT – Book Club: Oona Out of Order (Session 2)
- Tuesday, October 13, at 7:00 p.m. CDT - An Election Unlike Any Other?
- Thursday, October 15, at 5:00 p.m. CDT – Book Club: Oona Out of Order (Session 3)
- Friday, October 23–Sunday, October 25 – Jameson 5K Race and 1-Mile Mosey (Participate in the 50-State Challenge)
- Wednesday, October 28, at 7:00 p.m. CDT - Let’s Talk About It: The New Jim Crow by Michelle Alexander
- Thursday, November 5, at 7:00 p.m. CST - Favorite Wines for the Holidays
Participate in Curious Conversations
During the Fall 2020 semester, several Southwestern alumni will be speaking about their professional work. Alumni and friends are invited to participate in these web conference events hosted by the Center for Career & Professional Development. Click on the links below to register to attend.
- Friday, September 25, at 12:30 p.m. (CDT): Nick Sivon ’15, Business Analyst, UBS
- Tuesday, September 29, at 5:30 p.m. (CDT): Shawn Pipkin-West ’94, Director, Directors Guild of America
- Friday, October 2, at 12:30 p.m. (CDT): Jamie Hamlin ’05, Director of Global Themed Entertainment, Warner Media
- Friday, October 2, at 12:30 p.m. (CDT): Clara McMichael ’17, Journalist, ABC/Freelance, New York, NY
- Tuesday, October 6, at 5:30 p.m. (CDT): Kevin Hutzler ’13, Senior Research Manager, Amazon Studios
- Friday, October 9, at 12:30 p.m. (CDT): Allison Ragland ’08, Global Talent Acquisition, Tiffany & Co.
- Friday, October 9, at 12:30 p.m. (CDT): Jessica Olson ’14, Senior Climate Lead, Sierra Club, Oakland, CA
- Tuesday, October 13, at 5:30 p.m. (CDT): Rosalie Bonner ’12, Account Director, Droga5
- Friday, October 16, at 12:30 p.m. (CDT): Ty Ragland ’06, Sr. Employee Relations Manager, Microsoft
- Friday, October 16, at 12:30 p.m. (CDT): Lori Higginbotham ’09, Senior Editor, ESPN
- Tuesday, October 20, at 5:30 p.m. (CDT): Markell Henderson ’19, Bond Portfolio Manager, Northern Trust
- Friday, October 23, at 12:30 p.m. (CDT): Robert Frost ’13, Freelance Musician and Voice Educator
- Tuesday, October 27, at 5:30 p.m. (CDT): Kristin Starodub ’99, Principal, Deloitte
- Friday, October 30, at 12:30 p.m. (CDT): Maddie Robertson ’09, Senior Account Director, We Are Alexander
- Tuesday, November 3, at 5:30 p.m. (CST): Michael Maine ’07, Creative Director/Owner, Menrva Labs
- Friday, November 6, at 12:30 p.m. (CST): Jessica Hager ’08, Director of Healthcare Partnerships & Nutrition, Feeding America
- Tuesday, November 10, at 5:30 p.m. (CST): Mandy Koohi ’15, International Intelligence Analyst, Booz Allen Hamilton
- Friday, November 13, at 12:30 p.m. (CST): Colin Berr ’13, Founder & CEO, MentorLane
- Friday, November 20, at 12:30 p.m. (CST): Susan Slagle Rogers ’83, Producer, Gaumont Animation USA
- Friday, December 4, at 12:30 p.m. (CST): Charlie Stern ’04, Analyst in Natural Resources Policy, Congressional Research Service
Download one of Southwestern’s Zoom Backgrounds
Students, faculty, and staff are often turning to Zoom video conferencing to conduct courses and meetings online. And now, although we can’t be together at our campus home, you can bring campus home to you—by changing your Zoom background to scenic images of our favorite SU landmarks. Learn more.
Explore the Research and Creative Works Symposium
Join us on a Social Media Platform
Participate in online conversations and social media challenges with fellow Pirates:
- Southwestern University Facebook Page
- Southwestern University Alumni Association Facebook Page
- Office of Admission Annual Playlist on Spotify
Network with Fellow Pirates
Create a profile on PirateConnect. PirateConnect is a platform where alumni and students can ask questions and seek guidance, coach and inspire, and find paths to professional aspirations. It is a digital space exclusively for Southwestern University. Here you can connect with classmates and students - all in a professional setting.
Participate in the SU Book Club
Register to participate in the SU Book Club. Receive information about the books we will read and the times we will gather through online platforms (e.g., Google Hangouts and Zoom) to engage in discussions surrounding the books.
Share your Story with Special Collections
Special Collections & Archives is seeking contributions for its new digital archive, 20/20 Distance: A COVID-19 Digital Archive, documenting life of the SU Community [students, faculty, staff, and alumni] and residents of Georgetown, TX during the COVID-19 pandemic. Special Collections is looking for user submissions of what day to day life looks like during this time period. Submissions can be stories, images, documents, video, audio, and artwork. Help us us capture and preserve what it is like to live during this time period. More information can be found here: https://2020distance.
Volunteer for Admissions
The Office of Admission is asking alumni to write congratulatory letters/notes to the parents/families of admitted students, all in an effort to convey the importance of the investment they will be making in their student. Volunteer an hour of your time to help recruit future Pirates!