The Southwestern University Alumni Association has no boundaries in the digital age. Below are a variety of ways that you can engage with your alma mater from the comforts of your home - wherever that may be.
“Attend” a Virtual Event
The University offers events that require no in-person attendance. Check out the schedule of activities:
- Wednesday, July 29, at 7:00 p.m. CDT – “Let’s Talk About It” Book Club Discussion on White Fragility
- Thursday, July 30, at 7:00 p.m. CDT – Finding the Magic: Planning Your Trip to Walt Disney World
- Monday, August 3, at 5:00 p.m. CDT – Write the Right Personal Statement
- Wednesday, August 5, at 7:00 p.m. CDT – No Playbook for a Pandemic: How COVID-19 changed the game for sports fans & media
- Monday, August 10, at 5:00 p.m. CDT – Negotiating a Job Offer
- Thursday, August 13, at 5:00 p.m. CDT - SU Book Club discussion on Sing, Unburied, Sing by Jesmyn Ward. (Part 1)
- Wednesday, August 19, at 7:00 p.m. CDT - Works in Progress by a Work in Progress
- Thursday, August 20, at 5:00 p.m. CDT - SU Book Club discussion on Sing, Unburied, Sing by Jesmyn Ward (Part 2)
- Thursday, August 27, at 5:00 p.m. CDT - SU Book Club discussion on Sing, Unburied, Sing by Jesmyn Ward
- Thursday, September 3, at 5:00 p.m. CDT - SU Book Club discussion on Sing, Unburied, Sing by Jesmyn Ward
- Thursday, September 10, at 6:30 p.m. CDT - Georgetown Green Film Series: The Story of Plastic
Download one of Southwestern’s Zoom Backgrounds
Students, faculty, and staff are often turning to Zoom video conferencing to conduct courses and meetings online. And now, although we can’t be together at our campus home, you can bring campus home to you—by changing your Zoom background to scenic images of our favorite SU landmarks. Learn more.
Explore the Research and Creative Works Symposium
Join us on a Social Media Platform
Participate in online conversations and social media challenges with fellow Pirates:
- Southwestern University Facebook Page
- Southwestern University Alumni Association Facebook Page
- Office of Admission Annual Playlist on Spotify
Network with Fellow Pirates
Create a profile on PirateConnect. PirateConnect is a platform where alumni and students can ask questions and seek guidance, coach and inspire, and find paths to professional aspirations. It is a digital space exclusively for Southwestern University. Here you can connect with classmates and students - all in a professional setting.
Participate in the SU Book Club
Register to participate in the SU Book Club. Receive information about the books we will read and the times we will gather through online platforms (e.g., Google Hangouts and Zoom) to engage in discussions surrounding the books.
Share your Story with Special Collections
Special Collections & Archives is seeking contributions for its new digital archive, 20/20 Distance: A COVID-19 Digital Archive, documenting life of the SU Community [students, faculty, staff, and alumni] and residents of Georgetown, TX during the COVID-19 pandemic. Special Collections is looking for user submissions of what day to day life looks like during this time period. Submissions can be stories, images, documents, video, audio, and artwork. Help us us capture and preserve what it is like to live during this time period. More information can be found here: https://2020distance.
Volunteer for Admissions
The Office of Admission is asking alumni to write congratulatory letters/notes to the parents/families of admitted students, all in an effort to convey the importance of the investment they will be making in their student. Volunteer an hour of your time to help recruit future Pirates!