The Southwestern University Alumni Association has no boundaries in the digital age. Below are a variety of ways that you can engage with your alma mater from the comforts of your home - wherever that may be.
“Attend” a Virtual Event
The University offers events that require no in-person attendance. Check out the schedule of activities:
- Stream Fall, Winter, and Spring athletic games
- Monday, October 25, at 6:00 p.m. - SU Book Club, The Four Winds by Kristin Hannah (Chapters 1 - 9)
- Monday, November 1, at 6:00 p.m. - SU Book Club, The Four Winds by Kristin Hannah (Chapters 10 - 18)
- Monday, November 8, at 6:00 p.m. - SU Book Club, The Four Winds by Kristin Hannah (Chapters 19 - 27)
- Monday, November 15, at 6:00 p.m. - SU Book Club, The Four Winds by Kristin Hannah (Chapters 28 - end)
Participate in Curious Conversations
Several Southwestern alumni will be speaking about their professional work with current students. Alumni and friends are invited to participate in these web conference events hosted by the Center for Career & Professional Development. Click on the links below to register to attend.
- Justin Harris ’04, Attorney at Law, private practice, Houston – Friday, October 22, 12:30 p.m. CDT
- Jorge Diaz Cuervo ’90, P’21, Director at Kybernus (NGO), Mexico City – Friday, October 22, 12:30 p.m. CDT
- Bear Vasquez ’17, Texas Supreme Court Law Clerk and CEO/Founder of Lux Water, Austin – Tuesday, October 26, at 5:30 p.m. CDT
- Lizette Villarreal ’13, Annual Fund Manager at Casa Manana, Fort Worth – Friday, October 29, at 12:30 p.m. CDT
- Alana Buenrostro ’11, VP of Membership & Development, World Affairs Council of Dallas/Fort Worth – Tuesday, November 2, at 5:30 p.m. CDT
- Stephanie Agtarap ’11, Psychological Research Scientist at Craig Hospital, Denver – Friday, November 5, at 12:30 p.m. CDT
- Adam Winkler ’04, News & Sports Anchor, ABC13 Houston – Tuesday, November 9, at 5:30 p.m. CST
Network with Fellow Pirates
Create a profile on PirateConnect . PirateConnect is a platform where alumni and students can ask questions and seek guidance, coach and inspire, and find paths to professional aspirations. It is a digital space exclusively for Southwestern University. Here you can connect with classmates and students - all in a professional setting.
Participate in the SU Book Club
Register to participate in the SU Book Club. Receive information about the books we will read and the times we will gather through online platforms (e.g., Google Hangouts and Zoom) to engage in discussions surrounding the books.
COMING IN THE FALL OF 2021
“Let’s Talk About it” Book Club Series - The LGBTQIA Community
The Southwestern University Alumni Association is in the process of identifying books to choose from and potential alumni, faculty, and staff who would be interested in serving on one of three panels scheduled for this fall. If you are interested in being a part of one of these panels, please let Serena Bettis know by filling out the attached google form.
Join the SU Walking Club
Register to participate in the SU Walking Club. The group participates in walks involving monthly challenges, goals, teams, and support. Join in order to receive information about upcoming challenges and like us on the SU Walking Club Facebook page to connect with others in the group.
Download one of Southwestern’s Zoom Backgrounds
Students, faculty, and staff are often turning to Zoom video conferencing to conduct courses and meetings online. And now, although we can’t be together at our campus home, you can bring campus home to you—by changing your Zoom background to scenic images of our favorite SU landmarks. Learn more.
Join us on a Social Media Platform
Participate in online conversations and social media challenges with fellow Pirates:
- Southwestern University Facebook Page
- Southwestern University Alumni Association Facebook Page
- Office of Admission Annual Playlist on Spotify
Share your Story with Special Collections
Special Collections & Archives is seeking contributions for its new digital archive, 20/20 Distance: A COVID-19 Digital Archive, documenting life of the SU Community [students, faculty, staff, and alumni] and residents of Georgetown, TX during the COVID-19 pandemic. Special Collections is looking for user submissions of what day to day life looks like during this time period. Submissions can be stories, images, documents, video, audio, and artwork. Help us us capture and preserve what it is like to live during this time period. More information can be found here: https://2020distance.
Volunteer for Admissions
The Office of Admission is asking alumni to write congratulatory letters/notes to the parents/families of admitted students, all in an effort to convey the importance of the investment they will be making in their student. Volunteer an hour of your time to help recruit future Pirates!