Student Resources

Advising Frequently Asked Questions

  • Majors and minors can be found in the Academics section of the website.

    Southwestern University Majors & Minors

  • An academic advisor works with you to identify and articulate your personal and professional short and long-term goals. You advisor will help you understand the logic of SU’s curriculum. You will work collaboratively with you advisor to explore and choose courses, as well as, experiential learning and co-curricular opportunities. Your advisor will also help connect you with resources to help you be successful while at SU.

  • Every semester you will need to meet with your academic advisor to be cleared for registration. It is always a good idea to reach out to your advisor at any time you have questions or need assistance.

  • You can find your advisor’s name by clicking on My Profile under Student Information on WebAdvisor. You can find their contact information by searching for them, by name, using the online campus directory through MySouthwestern.

  • Yes, you can change your advisor at any time. We are in the process of creating an online process for advisor changes. In the meantime, if you are interested in changing your advisor, please email the faculty or staff member you wish to be your advisor. If they are willing and able to add you as an advisee, please forward the email with their confirmation to Dr. Jennifer Leach ( 

  • When you identify a course on Student Planning and it states that it is waitlisted you will see a number which indicates the number of students currently on the waitlist. The wait list works on a “first come, first served” basis, meaning the first registered student on the waitlist will have the first opportunity to add the section. If you are promoted from the waitlist, you will receive an automated email with instructions on how to claim your spot in the section. You will have 48 hours to add the waitlisted section. Once the 48 hour registration period expires, the next student on the waitlist will receive the email and ability to claim the section.

    If you are extended an invitation to register for a waitlisted section, it is important to note that the registration system will not allow you to register for an overload (over 19 credits) or time conflict. In the case of a time conflict or overload, it will be necessary to drop a scheduled section if you wish to accommodate the new section.

    Sections marked as “instructor signature required on adds after prereg window” are not subject to the typical wait list process.  The enrollment in these sections are controlled by the individual instructors.

  • First, check the academic calendar for important deadlines to add and drop courses. You can add and drop courses online through Student Planning up until a certain date. After those deadlines have passed you will need to complete an add/drop card (available in the Center of Academic Success and Registrar in Prothro Center 100) which will require a signature from the instructor or chair of department and academic advisor. There are deadlines for submitting add/drop cards, as well. If you stop attending a course without completing the appropriate procedures you will receive a grade of F in the course.

  • Use this graduation checklist to submit your application for a diploma. 

    Graduation Checklist

  • Academic warning occurs when you either:

    • Earn a semester grade point average (GPA) below a 2.0 and have a cumulative GPA of at least a 2.0.


    • Earn a semester GPA above a 2.0 but did not complete 24 credits within the academic year.

    Academic warning is not reflected on your transcript.


    Academic probation occurs when you either:

    • Earn below a 2.0 cumulative GPA after your second semester.


    • Pass fewer than 24 credits after your second semester.

    You will receive a letter informing you of next steps and requirements to reach Good Standing if you are placed on academic warning or probation.

    If you are experiencing any academic difficulty or may potentially be on warning or probation, please contact the Center for Academic Success for support.

  • All SU students have the potential to be academically successful. Our committed staff and faculty are invested in your success. There are a number of resources available to support your academic goals.

    The Center for Academic Success offers student-centered resources to help empower you to achieve success. Some of their services include the Peer Mentor program, a list of tutoring options, and Captain’s Academy.

    The Debby Ellis Writing Center provides support, strategies, and feedback to writers at all levels, in all disciplines, and at all stages in the writing process.

    The Office of Community-Engaged Learning collaborates with students, faculty, and community partners to develop projects whereby students apply academic skills and knowledge to address a community need, issue, or problem and to enhance student learning.

    The Center for Career and Professional Development provide opportunities for you to explore a variety of occupations, gain valuable experience, and make connections to employers, grad schools, and other resources.

    The Counseling Center offers individual and group counseling, as well as workshops, that help you explore your personal concerns and identify more effective ways of handling them. Personal concerns sometimes play a role in academic success. Please know we have services to support you.

  • SU offers a number of scholarships to first-year and transfer students. You can learn more about scholarships available to first-year students here. Transfer student scholarship information can be found here.

    Alexandra Anderson, Senior Associate Director of the Center for Career & Professional Development and campus fellowship advisor, is available to help you identify and apply for these prestigious awards. You can learn more about these programs here. The CCPD is located in Prothro Center, Suite 140.

  • There are several dates to be aware of when dropping a course. There is a deadline to drop a course using Student Planning, a deadline to drop a course without it appearing on your record, and a deadline to drop a course with a W on your record. To find these dates please refer to the academic calendar or find Important Dates on the website for the Office of the Registrar.

    Special notes on dropping science courses with labs

    For Organic I and II and Biochemistry I/Advanced Lab in Biochemistry - if you drop the lecture at any point in the semester, you are required to drop the lab (and vice versa, must drop lecture for a laboratory drop).

    For Principles of General Chemistry and Chemical Kinetics and Equilibrium - if you drop the lecture without record, you are required to drop the lab; if you withdraw (W) from the course with record, you may stay in the lab.

  • The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974, commonly called the Buckley Amendment, is a federal law designed to protect the privacy of education records, to establish the right of students to inspect and review their education records and to provide guidelines for the correction of inaccurate and misleading data through information and formal hearings. In accordance with FERPA, disclosure of student information, including financial and academic, is restricted. Release of information other than “directory information” to anyone other than the student requires a written consent from the student.

    Through this form, a student can (1) authorize the release of information for account and financial obligations, merit scholarships, and financial aid; and (2) allow for final semester grades to be mailed to an authorized party, upon request. This form does not provide access or permission to speak with individual faculty, staff, or departments about a student’s academic status, grades, or other personal academic information. We can only accept a FERPA form submitted directly by the student.

    Through this form, the student can authorize the release of specific academic information from a faculty or staff member to the listed person(s). This disclosure of information is limited to those items authorized on the form, and the release expires at the end of the academic year.

  • Yes, you are able to add a secondary advisor if you choose, due to double-majoring or multiple interests. We are in the process of creating an online process for advisor changes. In the meantime, if you are interested in adding a secondary advisor, please email the faculty or staff member you wish to be your secondary advisor. If they are willing and able to add you as an advisee, please forward the email with their confirmation to Dr. Jennifer Leach ( 

  • There are over 60 clubs and organizations at SU. There is something for everyone! Visit Student Activities for a list organized by interest.