Intro to Advising
Get familiar with these fundamentals to make the most of your advising experience. Information on making advising appointments, how to prepare, and what to expect.
Check out our NEW YouTube Channel for Registration and Moodle How-To Videos! Let us know in the comments what other videos you would like us to add. More to come!
This list of Referrals and Resources is helpful for you to learn about the different offices on campus and how you can connect with them for support.
Information on advising for students in pre-med/health and other pre-professional pathways may be found at the following locations.
Check out this NEW resource: The Pirate’s Path to Self-Realization
Additionally, each department has created a Pathway to Success handout for each major. These handouts supplement the degree plan to help you navigate your major by semester or by year with consideration to courses that should be completed, high-impact experiences you can engage in, and reflection questions to determine your goals moving forward.
- Pathways to Success (for 2019-2021 catalog years)
- Pathways to Success (for 2021-2023 catalog years)
- Pathways to Success (for 2023-2025 catalog years)
Advising FAQ and Planning Tools
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Planning Tools
- Degree Components
- Degree Components 2021
- Study Abroad Programs by Major
Group Advising & Department Information Sessions
- Math/Computer Science - September 5th, 4:02 pm, FJS 402
- Psychology - October 2nd, 12:30 - 1:30 pm, Olin 124
- Education - October 3rd, 4 - 5 pm, FJS 100
- Spanish - October 4th, 12 - 1 pm, The Cove
- French, German, Chinese, & Classics - October 4th, 3:30 - 4:30 pm, Olin 322
- English - October 4th, 5:00 pm, Olin 124
- Communication Studies - October 12th, 1:30 - 2:30 pm, Olin 323
- Art History - October 12th, 4 - 5 pm, Fine Arts Building Courtyard
- Economics and Business - October 16th, 12:30 - 1:30 pm, Dan Rather Room (in Commons, lunch provided)
- History - October 16th, 12:30 - 1:30 pm, Margaret Schilling Room (in Commons, lunch provided)
- Biochemistry and Chemistry - October 16th, 4:30 - 5:30 pm, FJS 300
- Political Science - October 17th, 4 - 5 pm, Library East Deck (rain location is Prothro Room in the Library, room 205)
- Sociology/Anthropology - October 18th, 12:30 - 1:30 pm, FJS 300 (outside classroom)
- Kinesiology - October 18th, 12:30 - 1:30 pm, FJS 402
- Biology - October 19th, 4 - 5 pm, FJS 403
- International Studies - October 19th, 4 - 5 pm, Olin 124
- Math and Computer Science - October 24th, 4 - 5 pm, FJS 402
- Race and Ethnicity Studies - October 26th, 11:30 am - 1: 00 pm, Dan Rather Room (in Commons, lunch provided)
- Physics - Group advising for the Physics Department occurs during monthly Physics Club meetings. Please contact the Physics Club faculty representative Dr. Cody Crosby (firstname.lastname@example.org) for information about the date of the next Physics Club meeting.
Attend a session to learn more about the major/minors available in SU’s departments. You do not need to be a declared major to attend. These sessions can help you plan your future semester courses.