Visiting & Readmit Students


Scott Sandoval

Director of Transfer Recruitment

Scott Sandoval

Director of Transfer Recruitment


I have a bachelor’s degree and want a second degree.

At Southwestern University, a student may obtain a different degree from the one previously earned (e.g., after earning a Bachelor of Arts degree, a student may earn a Bachelor of Science degree). Students must complete at least an additional 64 hours (2 years) in residence for the second degree. Southwestern’s liberal arts requirements, as well as the coursework in the new major/minor, will also need to be completed. Southwestern offers Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Fine Arts, Bachelor of Science in Education and Bachelor of Music degrees. Contact Scott Sandoval, Director of Transfer Recruitment, for more information.


I have a bachelor’s degree and I want to obtain my teacher certification.

Please contact Ms. Sue Smith, in the Education Department, by calling 512.863.1476. Ms. Smith can review your transcript(s) to determine how many credits are lacking in order to obtain certification. Students wanting to enroll at Southwestern for teacher certification should use the Visiting Student Application. Please note: students wishing to obtain emergency certification cannot take required courses and teach at the same time.


I need to take a course or two to transfer back to my current institution or to fulfill prerequisites for graduate school.

  • First, verify that the needed course is going to be offered in an appropriate time frame by viewing the course listings.
  • Second, review the Southwestern University catalog and have an administrator at your current institution verify that the course is appropriate and transferable for your needs.
  • Third, fill out a Visiting Student Application and send the appropriate documents to the University—typically a college transcript from the registrar of the college last attended.

It should be noted that though the Admission Office admits students as visiting students, only the faculty member teaching the class grants admission to the specific class needed. Contact Christine Bowman, Dean of Admission, for more information.


I want to take summer school and transfer it back to my current institution.

A listing of the summer courses is available through the Registrar’s office and is listed on our website mid-spring. Southwestern’s summer program, which runs from mid-May to mid-July, is comprised of a three week term followed by a five week term. Note that Southwestern’s summer course offerings are extremely limited. If you are interested in taking a course and transferring the credit back to your current institution, please complete our Visiting Student Application and submit an official college transcript. Students who are interested in taking summer school at Southwestern are encouraged to apply by April 15. Contact Christine Bowman, Dean of Admission, for more information.


I want to audit a class.

In order to audit a class a student should complete a Visiting Student Application. and submit it to the Admission Office. With professor consultation, space availability will be determined and permission confirmed. Courses designed to develop skills and that are “hands-on” in nature such as applied music, studio art or Fitness and Recreational Activities may not be audited. Contact Christine Bowman, Dean of Admission, for more information.

To audit a class, take a class to transfer back to another college or fulfill requirements for graduate school: 


To pursue a second bachelor’s degree or teacher certification. 

  • Students wishing to pursue a second degree, or teacher certification after earning a degree elsewhere, should be aware of Southwestern’s policies with respect to these options. More detailed information can be found on our Non-Traditional & Visiting Student webpage.